Off Center

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BHSBrass, Feb 17, 2009.

1. BHSBrass

BHSBrass New Friend

May 20, 2008
    Hi everyone, A few months ago I underwent a embouchure change due to my heavy playing in the red of my top lip. The change has been extremely helpful on both my sound and my endurance but i have noticed when I play I am a little off center from the middle of my lips.

I know playing off center is ok if you have tooth protrusions or other jaw factors, but I had braces for 3 years and my jaw and teeth are pretty much perfectly aligned. Will this slight misplacement of center playing hinder my performance at all or should I go back to the mirror and try to correct the placement.

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Some great players play a little (or a lot!) off center. There's nothing wrong with it. It sounds like the change you made is paying off, so I would leave well enough alone!

3. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Your experience will and does teach you where to put it. For every trumpet player, there is a different embouchure. Don't look,....... listen. there is no correction in a mirror unless it is for a front wheel alignment on your car.

4. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    I play off center as well and it's no problem.

I asked my teacher about it one day and he said "Meh....it works for you so use it. No point in changing it because it does not "look" right".

IMO, I woouldn't worry about it.