"Off" days and "Beethoven 5...again"

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by tpter1, Feb 7, 2005.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny- Ever have one of those days when you are just playing "off"? Others may not notice; but you are just off. How do you deal with them? How do you turn it into a good day?

Also, given the amount of experience you have with literature, how do you keep something fresh feeling that you have played many, many times? (Like Beethoven 5...the classic audience-getters).

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    dear Tpter,

Naturally, I do. You are right, however, that it's something you can keep to yourself if your playing is at a certain level. It's never because of anything worth worrying about. Maybe I ate something too hot at dinner, too much coffee, thinking about the kids... in other words, there's a realization that these things are temporary in nature and I'll bounce back

I think it's tougher for you younger folks in school. Why? Because you, for the most part, will have one shot at a concert whereas I will have 3-4 shows to play. Where it tough for me is that this is my livelihood and you come to spend money to see me play and folks expect to have me "up' for each performance. They have a right to, as far as I'm concerned. That's what being a professional means: the show must go on and you have to play at a very high level every night.

I don't have to worry about staying fresh for standard repertoire. First, the trumpet has an astonishing way of keeping you humble. Second, I'm not being corny when I say that I truly love my job and there's very little music I don't like to play. I own every note I play and treat it with a contextual care in honor of the audience I play for. That's the honest truth.

ML

3. Greg5850

Greg5850 Pianissimo User

Jan 10, 2004
    WI
    Manny,

Manny Laureano wrote
    "Second, I'm not being corny when I say I that I truly love my job and that there's very little music that I don't like to play. I own every note I play and treat it with a contextual care in honor of the audience I play for."

What an elequent reply from a true artist. I am going to print that and save it and if I have an outstanding student, considering whether or not to pursue a performance career, I will share it with them.

Greg

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny- Thank you so much.

You bring to mind this quote:
    "All that is Given is not lost".
    (Rabindranath Tagore)

And this:
    "We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give". (Winston Churchill)

I also thank you for considering me a young individual in school...I certainly feel like one! I go to school everyday and am around young people every day, so it must be rubbing off. (I love my job, too!) :grouphug:

5. KeithH

KeithH New Friend

Oct 2, 2004
    Minnesota
    Hi Manny,

First, I'd like to thank you for taking your time to help and talk with the rest of us out here. It is a privilege and a pleasure.

My question is: Have you ever played the National Anthem for the Timeberwolves. The reason I ask is I saw someone from the MN Orchestra play in about Dec 20001 (or maybe Dec 2000). It was that stunning performance that got me to start playing again. Since I had not been playing at the time I did not know the names anyone in the MN Orchestra, so unfortunately, the name they announced was like water off a duck. But it was the best performance I've ever seen (or heard) of our National Anthem.

Thanks again
    Keith H

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    dear Kevin,

Are you sure that it was someone from the MO? I don't have any memory of any of the guys playing an Anthem before a Wolves game. I have played many times for Twins games though not recently.

ML