Off horn exercises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by spevan, Jan 6, 2009.

1. spevan

spevan New Friend

Dec 29, 2008
    Hi,

I'm just wondering what are your experiences with off horn exercises? It happens a lot to me that I have days that I can't practice, but there is some spare time when I can't really access the horn.
    I have read something but there are a lot of opinions on the net. I am not searching for an ultimate thing that would same to practicing on a horn, but something is better than nothing, right.

What do you suggest?
    - free buzzing
    - pencil exercise
    Can it be overdone or likely to ruin my embochure as some have written?

What pattern should I use?

Thank you...
    M.

2. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
  3. spevan

spevan New Friend

Dec 29, 2008
    this is perfect...

thank you!

4. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Hi,

I use the pencil exercise and lip buzzing, both of which are excellent. I also use mouthpiece buzzing, I wrap a tissue around the end of the bore to mute it, and I can play very quietly into the mp with this setup. I recommend it as it helps me build my embouchre and my technique while still playing "off horn".

5. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I keep an old mouthpiece in all my vechiles so that I can buzz when I can not get home to practice of have family obligations. It is easy to slip away and buzz for a fe minutes with out anyone knowing but it is hard to disguise a trumpet and then sneak away to a place no one will see or hear you playing.

6. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    while listening to music, you can do off horn exercises

7. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Much harder done than said... there is much more to listening than hearing notes... :-? when you figure that out music takes on a whole new meaning... good advice Schwab.... :thumbsup:

8. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Well, I have no problems transcribing a solo with an extra pencil in my mouth doing the pencil exercise or Leon Merians pucker stuff but different strokes for different folks

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    As long as you do not count the off horn stuff as "serious practice time", I guess there is no harm.

My off horn/mouthpiece stuff is only when I am in the car and the windshield needs cleaning.........................

Any time that I can get ON the horn at home is FAR more desirable!!!