Off the horn 3 days....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by schleiman, May 25, 2011.

1. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    When I was in college a buddy of mine use to say this:

If I take one day off I can feel it..
    If I take two days off I can hear it..
    If I take three days off then EVERYONE can hear it!

At the very least you can carry a mpc around... you can always buzz almost anywhere in a 24 hour day in any situation to remind the chops who the boss is.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The bottom line is still the same. When WE make a commitment, to ourselves, those around us or those willing to book us, then WE ACTIVELY did something and if character counts, need to stand behind it.

If the trumpet really means something, then the question about what happens when you don't practice NEVER COMES UP. If the trumpet is just one of many additional things in your life, then I can assure you, there are NO SURPRISES.

I am going to take a very "absolutist" stand on your original post:

Forced to take three days off? I guess one can feel better if we project the blame outwards.

"and I fatigued very quickly. I immediately stopped playing for the day". OK, when the going gets tough, quit. That solves a lot.

"I usually practice 2-3 hours a day 7 days a week, so my chops were pretty strong, but now they feel very tired.". REALITY CHECK!!! If you are wiped out after 3 days off, then this is an exaggeration of at least 200%. In an internet forum you can type whatever you think that you do. I have students with only 20-30 minutes per day and a couple of rehearsals per week that have no trouble with 3 days off. If the benefits of that much time are so weak in your case, there is something dramatically wrong.

My point with the absolute: the pieces of your posts don't fit together. How can we help you if you don't even know what real practice is or what 2-3 hours is worth. How can we help if you aren't what you claim to be?

It is really easy to blog your way into a hole. I stopped going to facebook because the internet reality is too often plagued with posting what the user THINKS other people want to read or what they believe others should think about them. There is no reality in that. They also get a case when they are called on the BS - how can someone DARE. The responses: You don't know me, you have no idea, you are rude, blah, blah, blah.

It is actually very easy to identify things that are once you have been there. Plenty of clues that indicate what has been important.

I think that you do not have any need to worry. If the trumpet stays about as important as it probably has been, you will be back to normal after a couple of weeks of 30-45 minutes per day plus some band rehearsals.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The comeback after 2 years plus a new upper denture to get used to ... and I envy those of you who can take a day or so off and then resume where you were within a day or so. Well, I once did it after a 40+year lapse and no rationale says I can't do it again despite my aging and health decline.

4. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Since we are talking about weakness and or fatigue....

I've noticed since I returned to the gym a couple of weeks ago my breath strength is down. Before I started going back I was able to hit a high (3rd) D for a few seconds during my long tones practice and now I can't make a sound above the B above the staff. Does this make any sense? I've only been playing 2 years.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think you will do fine Ed, just remember all the things you do know, and always remember to NOT get frustrated with the aging body. I'm only 46 with a lot less problems -- BUT some days I just suck -- the body says - "not to day" -- but then I relax, maybe put the horn down and come back after it the next day ----AND the next day is always BETTER!!!!

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Say that again when you've added 29 more years !!! I'll be 75 before Memorial Day. I'll Pray you don't have the dental and health issues I've had. However, I concur that we all have days where it is best we rest rather than attempt to play.

I took an afternoon nap after my last post, ate supper, cleaned my few remaining teeth and my new denture, scraped my tongue, rinsed my mouth with water and sat down to play again ... and hit all the chromatics in ascent from ledger line below to second ledger line above and descended again ... 3 times and then played Silent Night from memory without the intro, this time on my Conn coprion Director with a Parduba HJ 4 1/2 mpc. As some have inferred, I may have been too tensed to play again ... for sure, during all the two years I couldn't play even if I wanted to.
    Twiddle ta dee, twiddle de dum, I like to play my horns without the drum (no metronome either, although I have several). Y'all can laugh now, but I can only hear my own laughter! Swabbed my lead pipe, rinsed my mpc and put the trumpet back in its case ... until tomorrow night.

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I heard something similar that was attributed to Doc Severinsen.

Doc Severinsen and thoughts on practicing | The Bis Key Chronicles

"If you miss one day of practice, you’ll notice. If you miss two days of practice, the band will notice. And if you miss three days of practice, the audience with notice!"

It's a truism, no matter where it came from.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    ... when you miss years they all think you gave it up or died. Three times they've asked my wife if I've died, and none of those times were when I nearly did. I suppose there will come a time when I play a duet with Gabriel, but I'll need much more practice before I do.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This has been attributed to many different musicians. It only really applies to those who are offering audiences superlative performances though. In the "formative" years of playing, we do not have the consistency to make claims like this. We are cracking high notes, using exessive pressure, not playing evenly regardless if we took a couple of days off or not. Once we have achieved a certain amount of playing qualities, we are not "struggling" with the basic patterns required to play. We are struggling with PERFECTION. That difference - between very, very good and perfect, is what is meant. The mind has the procedure down, the body did, but now fights back a bit.

In the case of less experienced players, I think the following is more likely:
    If I don't practice for a week, I notice - sometimes
    If I don't practice for 2 weeks my parents notice
    My band teacher doesn't say anything if I don't practice for 3 weeks, unless it is right before a concert.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Have you noticed any shortness of breath in any other activities you have done, such as climbing up steps or jogging? Did you experience any sharp chest pain while at the gym? Was there an injury at the gym such as dropping weights on your chest? I find it interesting that you noticed this after doing exertional excercise?