Oh just come on now...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Aug 16, 2015.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    The conductor is certainly getting in to it (see 2:05 for example). From the small sample of videos in this thread it seems that bands using this instrument are expected to incorporate a lot of dancing/swaying into their performances rather than perhaps focusing on refined musicality. Would that be fair to say? Many bands I've enjoyed have sounded a bit rough or raw but in a way that was part of the appeal.

(and youtube suggested this song next, called "Let's Dance" just to back up my observation perhaps? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wr6SFP4-jE )

(I think all the samples on this thread so far have been the same band - Vollmershainer Schalmeienverein - there are only a few others that I've found, so of course the samples would exhibit some similarity...)

--bumblebee

2. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Completely fair to say. They look like they're having a great time. The crowd too. That's all that matters.

3. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    "The conductor is certainly getting in to it (see 2:05 for example). From the small sample of videos in this thread it seems that bands using this instrument are expected to incorporate a lot of dancing/swaying into their performances rather than perhaps focusing on refined musicality. Would that be fair to say? Many bands I've enjoyed have sounded a bit rough or raw but in a way that was part of the appeal."

The Rolling Stones would be an example

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    In Germany, the "Schalmei" in its modern form was considered more or less a proletarian instrument and closely connected with Communist groups. Here's a picture of a march by the Berlin Communists in 1927, with Ernst Thälmann and Willy Leow in front of a "Schalmeienkapelle"

Th-lmann-u-Leow-Aufmarsch-RFB-Foto-Th-lmann-Leow-Red-Front-march-1927.jpg

And that of course meant that this instrument was virtually unknown in West Germany and most surviving orchestras of this type now are in the former GDR.