Oh no, I broke my lips!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    So, my lips were swollen after a hard day of practice and jazz band. The next day in band I amazed at the HORRIBLE noises coming out of my horn. My first thought was, "oh boy" there you go, you broke your lips. So decieded to take the weekend off from practicing. Today before school when I was in a practice room the same thing but worse. Now I started to really panic. " Ok. now I have to start all over, get a new embachure, go through painful relearning. Then after looking at the horn parts I reliesed that one of my valves was in backwards or something. I blew through the horn, and to my suprise I could play like normal! Wow, I sure feel stupid.:whistle: I remember that happened right before a concert once and I didn't get to play in it. Has this or somthing like it happened to anyone else? Or is it just me??

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think it's about time to start taking the anti-anxiety medications. If God did not believe in medication, He wouldn’t have created pharmacists.

3. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Wow what a great story- this has happened to me and I feel like I just suddenly forgot everything I learned, but usually
    I realize faster that there's something wrong with the valves, because I only tend to put them in backward after I just
    oiled them.

4. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    Whenever you unscrew the valves, usually to oil them, do it from 3rd valve then 2nd then 1st. When you screw in EACH valve, blow in the horn to be sure it is blowing through. Always check every time you unscew a valve, blow through to be sure it is in right. You might want to ask me how I know to do this And BTW be sure if you have a cornet and flugel, do not put the flugel mps in the cornet (it will play flat)

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We used to turn the valves on the real idiots in college. A short lesson in humility seemed to work wonders.

If something like that happened to me, I would be looking for some real close "friends".

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES -- actually I bought this fine little Holton cornet from the antique store --- if I recall the owner said it was BROKE and would never play -- but it was worth $35 bucks as a wall ornament. I got it home and found a valve in backward (1950's model - no valve alignment guide) -- and it is a sweet little horn that plays great. YUP, could happen to anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I always blame it on the horn first.

8. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I wish my own trumpet problems would be so easy to fix. ;-)

BrotherBACH

9. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Haha, a few days ago I had a solo in rehearsal and right as everyone was expecting to hear me my trumpet was hardly making any noise, and it turns out that my broken (and thus rubberband-ed) spit valve got messed up so that the rubber band was holding it open rather than shut. Good thing it didn't happen during a concert....

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That has happened to me before when I first started playing. I took it to my band director and he couldn't find the problem so he took out the valves to see if there was anything stuck. When he put them back it in worked fine! He found that quite funny.