Oil for Monel Valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rockwell, Jun 11, 2013.

1. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    My two month old Calicchio has monel valves which have been sticking. I'm using Al Cass Fast. I have a bottle of Bach valve oil and I think Bachs have monel valves. Is it the oil? Thanks.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I doubt it has anything to do with the valve material. More likely it is a consequence of your chemistry blending with the Al Cass (though I am sure you will now write that you have used Al Cass for years on other horns with no issue).
    Clean everything (important) and try the Bach, since you have some. If that doesn't work, then give some of the lighter bodied synthetics (Ultra Pure, Yamaha) a try.
    Berb Bio light is also a very good product which has good staying power which has worked well for me.

3. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    drop the al cass fast oil use hetmann valve oil instead.

grz.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My best results have been with Hetmans. If it's that new and tight, try Hetmans #1 light. I also like Blue Juice and it smells good too!!

5. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Hetmans indeed...i use #2 on my new Yamaha, no issues at all

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Have you been cleaning/washing your new horn carefully and frequently since you got it? If not, that might make a difference. I doubt your oils are "wrong" for monel valves, though if nothing else is the matter you could try some new brand. E.G. I use either La Tromba T2 or Hetmans No. 1

--bumblebee

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well, first, do not become discouraged. You're breaking in a new horn. Cleanliness, light-weight oil, and regular use should do the trick, but it may take a couple months. I've had great success with Hetman Light. I wipe down valves and casings completely with a clean, dry, relatively lint-free cloth prior to oiling. Gotta get rid of fine particles working loose and get the valves accustomed to your finger strikes. Good luck!
    Jim

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I use Hetman Light but 5 Starr is another fantastic oil.

Tom

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I LOVE the smell of Blue Juice in the morning !!!

10. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I'm all about ultra pure on all my horns: new and old.