Oil that Flugel! Yes but, how much?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hornished, Oct 20, 2007.

1. hornished

hornished New Friend

Jun 11, 2007
    I am a newcomer with the Flugel. It´s a Getzen from the 70´s that, after some work in it, is in very good shape. I play it two or three rounds a week and every time I take it out of the case I find it valve stucked like if I never had oiled it before. I tried different oils that last a lot in my trumpet. Is that normal with the Flugel or is there something I can do about it? Thanks.

2. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Oil the valves every day. My old Getzen trumpet valves will stick, but only after long periods of not playing it. I'd say oil every day, if the sticking valve isn't a real problem. If it is, you may have to get them lapped. Saliva acts kind of like glue when it dries. I use Hetman #1 light piston oil. Excellent.

3. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    Binak oil seems to work for me. It seems to last longer than conventional oils.

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi,

How often have you given the flugel a bath?

Sometimes a good bath and re-oiling the valves will help.

Different oils work better on some valves than others.

But, a regular cleaning routine helps.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Wipe the valves down with acetone (be careful if the horn is laquered!) then oil with a SYNTHETIC valve oil. Petroleum based oils evaporate and that is probably what is sticking in your case.

6. Joe N.

Joe N. New Friend

Mar 22, 2007
    I know it sounds crazy, but oil them up and dip them in water. The water clashes with the oil and gets it going. Weird, but true. My trumpet teacher who jazz gigs every night brings a cup of water to use for valves and one to drink...

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Joe,
    I think the reason that works has nothing to do with the science of lubrication.
    Practically speaking oil floats on water. If your valves and casings are not completely coated, the oil is of NO USE. If it is completely coated AND you have no mechanical problem, you do not need anything else.
    IF you eat and drink at gigs, there are plenty of particles in the horn that find their way to places where they can cause TROUBLE! Giving the valves a shower will flush some of that away.
    Again: there is NOTHING in valve oil that needs "activation" to work properly and water is a MISERABLE lubricant! That is one of the problems with vintage horns: many players used spit or water instead of oil. The valves wear much more quickly!

8. upoils

upoils Pianissimo User

Aug 1, 2005
    Philomath, Oregon
    I also have the '70s getzen flugel (4 valve). It works great with Ultra-Pure (what else did you expect me to recommend!! :) Best of luck, Ken