Oil the valve springs?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dangeorges, Apr 13, 2012.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I have removed fauna from mouthpieces and trumpets...

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I'll bet you have. Ever put a bit on agar agar to find out what it really was?

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I once performed at an outdoor gig when the trumpeter next to me "started to lose tone". She had a fiddle with her
    trumpet, bit of valve oil (through the bottom caps), no improvement - not sure what she thought she might achieve
    with a re-lube - especially through the caps. Then a good solid shake, where the moupiece fell out on the grass. Next
    she searched around in her trumpet case and with the knitting needle found there, proceeded to ream the food that
    was stuck in her mouthpiece flicking onto the ground around her. Ted gagged, and the trumpet section became a
    little unbalanced for a while. She has never been invited back - not even to rehearsals.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I have had to tactfully suggest to my friend sitting next to me that it would be a good idea to wash his trumpet out when I could smell it. He took it in good faith and had it clean by the next reheasal.

Regards, Stuart.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I gave a mpc to the guy next to me and he hasn't cleaned it in 6 years!!! It's blackish and I looked down it the other day and it was "full" of stalactites! It didn't play in tune to begin with and it plays even worse, wonder why?

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Made me heave a little. :stars:

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

This is about as good an idea as taking sandpaper to the face of an acoustic guitar. Makes as much sense too ....... Who needs all that thin protective coating for the wood? Who needs all that wood??? Sand it down (why didn't the manufacturer think of this??) and it'll play better.

Great plan. Keep at it ........ I'll bet that, with some deep thought, you could figure out a way to get duct tape to improve the trumpet as well.:thumbsup:

Turtle

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Doesn't duct tape fix everything (bad tone, intonation, lack of range, slotting, accuracy, endurance, tonguing, red rot ... ) ? ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Dupac likes this.
  9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    You can tell that a trumpet player has reached a professional status when they keep a roll of duct tape in their case .... It'll be next to the hammer and sandpaper.:lol:

Turtle

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
    Dupac likes this.
  10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    turtlejimmy likes this.