Oiling frequency

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    This has been a topic here many times before but I cannot tell the difference in valve feel after oiling them. I know I am a clean freak to my horns and I do not think that you can over oil. I usually oil the Xeno's new monel valves with Al Cass every day I play it. When I sub other horns and leave it for a week or so, They still feel as if I had just oiled them. Are my fingers not yet sensitive enough to detect the difference or am I oiling too much?

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If the oil is not running out the bottom of the valves or collecting in the tuning slides, and you are not going broke, you are probably not oiling too much. Although keep in mind that Rowuk recommends completely cleaning and drying the pistons and casings every time you oil. As a comeback player, I have not reached the level of playing where I need to worry about over-oiling. I use Alisyn synthetic and it seems to last forever. That was what I had on my valves when I put my trumpet in the closet and 20 years later, when I took it out, everything looked like it did the day I put it away. I think that you can tell when your equipment is looking and playing well and trust yourself to do it right.

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Valve oiling is a multi need task. The primary reason is to provide a lubricating film to keep the plated piston away from the brass cylinder where contact and movement will score,[ wear away ], that piston plating. Worn pistons leak and cause a whole laundry list of playing problems. The second reason for valve oiling is to help flush away detritus from the mating surfaces that also will cause wear. NEVER wait until your valves start to get slow or seize. If you allow this to happen, you are already rubbing a bare piston against a bare cylinder wall. You just shortened the life of your trumpet valves. A drop or two on each piston EVERY TIME your horn comes out of the case is the ONLY safe way to approach valve oiling Proceedure.

OLDLOU>>

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Petroleum based oils EVERY DAY! Synthetics every 3-4 days.

The former because the lubricant evaporates, the latter to get the aerosols from your breath flushed out!

5. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    OK, I just cleaned the new Xeno's valves and casings with Alisyn cleaner, wiped both down with a clean microfiber cloth, and dried with a chamois. Applied a iberal coat of ultrapure and began a practice session.
    First opinion is very good. Not quite as light as Al Cass but I'm not that fast anyway.
    Should I do it all over again to be sure all the old oil is gone?