Oiling habits...........

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Apr 4, 2009.

1. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
  2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Let's NOT turn this into a favorite brand or type of oil thread. We have ENOUGH or those.

The OP asked about how often, how much, what technique etc.

Let's keep it to that.

3. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I hope more people contribute to this thread. I find this very interesting, like those who layer oil and those who wipe down valve and casing. And then there's squirting a drop throught the bottom cap in an emergency. SolarBell is right, this thread was not meant to advertise what oil you use. But thanks for the information that went along with that. I hope I can find those videos where Shew and Andre have to deal with a stuck valve during performance.

crow

4. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    Well sorry about the oil brand didn't mean to highlight a certain brand

Other than oiling through the valve caps I've had some people take out their mouthpieces and adding oil down their lead pipes and just blew the oil through their valves. Not sure if it was effective but it was interesting, still smelled like crap ;).

5. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    If a car can run for well over 150,000 mile with its pistons traveling @ 7000 rpms at a 45 degree angle, at temperatures reaching 130 degrees or more,why shouldn"t a trumpet last a life time?Take away the oil and it would cease in a minute.I oil everyday with a light oil,takes a minute.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Wow, I guess I'm lousy at maintaining my horns because I only oil them as needed (usually about once a week.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I oil daily prior to practice or playing - oil is cheaper than trumpet valves, and I need all the valve speed I can get. :shock:

Getzen valves are good - good oil makes them better. :play:

8. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Once a week is not "as needed". You're way overdue. Oil is cheap.

I like the oil habit Rowuk teaches, pull em dry em oil em.

I use a chopstick with a paper towel rolled up around it to dry out the casings.
    I use cotton cloth to wipe/polish the valves after I rinse them; Often after every two and one half hours because I'm breaking in a new horn.

Oil is cheap. My son has an eight year hold hand me down and he does not have to oil as frequently. You have to oil frequently as long as your white cotton cloth reveals black on it from rubbing the valves dry.

9. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I can't tell you how much I appreciate these replies. There's so much common sense in oiling, and yet these answers confirm the obvious and initiate new approaches and thinking. Once again...oiling down the lead pipe in a pinch...that's hillareous...especially if it works. I like the comment about oiling "frequently as long as your white cotton cloth reveals black on it from rubbing the valves dry". Is that an indicator that the oil has broken down completely? Or will the "black" be found on all freshly oiled valves after a few hours of play?

crow

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I think it said in the directions for my Monette to oil before and after playing.
    Somewhere I read not to wipe off the valves because it could leave residue from the cloth.

I oil before I play with a band or rehearse and at home before I practice when I think about it. The valves never seem to need oil. I do it because I don't want them to wear.