Oiling habits...........

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Apr 4, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    B15M has brought up an alternate, if not somewhat more expensive alternative. Instead of cleaning and relubricating, FLUSH the contaminants out by oiling before and after play.

One point that I woulkd like to make, all of you that oil on demand are just fooling yourselves. By the time the valve tells you that the lubrication is inadequate, you have already been grinding away for a good while. The sludge left after the lubricating part of the oil has evaporated can keep the valve from "sticking". That does not mean that there is no wear. Oil regularly!

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Nice pick-up ROWUK, that's how the internal combustion engine oil system works - it flushes out the greeblies with oil flow - and then we either lose the oil (really old technology) or we recycle by filtering and scavenging back to the sump or tank for reuse.

The trumpet can be considered a total loss oil system - early gas turbine engines used the same concept - pump oil in under pressure and let it carry the gunge overboard - it killed a lot of seagulls and bothered the fishes so we generally don't do that anymore.

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I remove, wipe and oil my valves before each playing, practice, gig and sometimes during interval at a concert. More frequently if the horn is new.

I had a Selmer Paris B 700 that required cleaning and oiling every ten minutes when new or else the valves would seize.

Regards, Stuart

4. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    The new horns I have reveal this blackness on the cloth, yes, an indicator of break-in. My old horns,(they really don't want me to reveal their age:shock:) don't show any blackness at all.

5. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    I'm glad to hear that. I went and wiped my valves after reading this discussion, and didn't find any blackness there despite not having cleaned the horn in a while and not wiping the valves since.

It's an older horn, with worn valves, so I'm guessing previous owners saw that black.

6. Labidochromis

Labidochromis Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.
    Wow, great Thread!

I oil as needed which is usually every day or every other day. If the valves don't feel pristine then they get some oil, usually 2 or3 drops in each valve. Once a week the horn comes apart and the valves, casing and slides are wiped down and re lubricated.

once a month the horn gets a bath in warm soapy water meticulously swabbed and re lubricated.

After reading these posts I think I will be more diligent oiling every day and wiping the valves and casings more frequently. I am also going to try and find some more suitable products to lubricate with.

Cheers!

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Let's not get too carried away here - think of the black you get on the silver cloth when polishing your trumpet - 'something' has come off, but it is a tiny weeny little 'something' - I still think we should oil more rather than less, your choice, your trumpet, your budget, my fixation. :dontknow:

8. Kent

Kent New Friend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Based on the previous owner (who's also a tech) I wipe the valves and casings out down with microfibre evry few weeks and oil them with an oil designed for older, worn valves. Then once a day add a drop. Given the age and wear on the valves, this has worked well. It doesn't seem to have helped my range though ;)

9. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    i have an aristocrat that i have been working my butt off to keep alive, its death date according to my music store was about 8 months ago. i decided i would prove them wrong, plus at that point my aristocrat was my only trumpet and i also need it for marching because i am not using a strad then. well i oil the trumpet every day at rehearsal. the majority of the time its a very quick oil. i remove the slides gun five or six drops down the tubes and move on with playing. on the weekends i remove the valves and wipe them down with an old cotton t-shirt, then completely re-oil them. at this point i also oil my third valve slide and re-grease. this system seems to work pretty well for me. my valves are peeling so they tend to be a pain the majority of the time and need constant attention but this system is very efficient, plus it gets a bath every two weeks. but anyway i oil everyday and it does my trumpet well, then i also use that system of putting the oil down the lead pipe and blowing, not only does it oil my valves, but it protects the inside of my horn

lastly i found the original bottle that came with my trumpet from the seventies when my grandfather bought it and i tend to notice if my other valve oils fail a drop from this one fixes them in a flash. its a no name seventies bottle, only 1/4 left from CITY Music Center in Union, New Jersey, i guess my trumpet knows its original stuff