oiling trumpet how often

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Apr 2, 2012.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi I have a simple question that I asked my teacher BUT I have to ask someone here BECAUSE of the answer I got from him. How often do you oil the horn ? My teacher reply "everytime you play" I asked him again He says "evertime you play" Now does that mean if I practice TAKE A BREAK ... and 2 hours later I have to oil it again or ONLY AN HOUR BREAK OIL AGAIN he just gets annoyed:evil: if I ask he too many questions thank you Anthony

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Every time you play.

But that usually means once a day. You shouldn't need to oil every couple of hours unless you're using really thin oil that evaporates very fast... and usually they don't.

Tom

3. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thank you I am using Clarke Terry formula44 valve oil Thanks again is that okay once a day ? Anthony

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Depends on the oil. For me, once a week with Ultra Pure.

5. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Go with the nicely pragmatic answer of "as often as needed." It's different for each horn, player, type of oil used, humidity level, amount of playing, etc. Rather than risk having a valve get sticky on me during a performance or a group rehearsal, I do freshen them up before. Otherwise, I wait until the horn reminds me.

6. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I second what VetPsychWars said. Oil the horn once a day, and when you do, put a drop or two of oil down the leadpipe before you put the mouthiece on. Then, put the mouthpiece on and blow air through the horn while working the valves up and down. The oil forms a protective barrier between your saliva and the brass, helping to fight corrosion. After this once-daily oiling, you should only have to oil your valves again that day if they stick, which they shouldn't.

7. die Bullen

die Bullen Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Westfield, NJ
    Jeez this all has me a bit worried. My trumpet teacher never told me to oil the horns daily. I was doing it whenever I thought of it (probably about weekly) unless it was a new horn that needed breaking in. I like the lead pipe trick. I guess it is time to change my trumpet care regimen

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Is this a late April Fool's joke?

9. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You will find people like me who say every day you play and others who let it go longer. Valve oil is cheap. Rebuilding worn out valves is expensive. Let the guys with enough money to rebuild their valves worry about how often they oil. You should do it every day.

In my own case, the valves on my grandfather's trumpet were tight and fast. I listened to the people who said that I didn't have to oil every day. They owe me for a valve rebuild.

Don't make the same mistake that I did.

Tom

10. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI