Oiling valve before or after playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Dec 15, 2011.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I guess you wouldn't start your car with no oil, and then add it when you get home, would you? The trumpet is a machine - give it oil, or feel it grind itself to death.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    of course that might lead to the question on james trombone and greasing the slides (of for the confused adults James Morrison in the youtube vid, plays a trumpet, and is equally as good on the trombone ---- and, oh my goodness -- the dude is an Aussie -- congrats.
    OH KT -- stick with the topic of the thread,
    OIL YOUR VALVES before, and if they need it -- during --- and if you don't think that is enough -- oil them after.. so YES, before, during, and after --- OIL IS CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP --- hey isn't that better than getting a valve job????? ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Enough, enough, I get it before, or whenever they're dry.
    BTW, too much oil can cause excessive stickiness of valves.
    It is usually just a couple of drops in each valve.
    Best Regards.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    NOW -- do the rest of you take each valve out -- each time -- or do you cheat, and oil it by taking the big slide thingy out, and dumping 6 drops down there so it reaches the 3rd valve first --- AND what do coronet players do????? your advice is so confusing ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Yeh, this is getting to be one of those beat a dead horse things.
    Oil the trumpet before you play, preferably by removing the valves
    Then a drop on each side. But of course everybody cheats. It is just
    after I spend so much money on one I don't personally think it is a
    good idea to cut corners. Take care of your prized possessions. Yes,
    and too much oil especially depending on the viscosity of the oil can
    cause the valves to stick. I use Ultra Pure which is less viscous.
    Keep on Trumpetting!

6. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I oil after playing and frequently for this theoretical reasons: Saliva leaves a biofilm on the valves that contains minerals which build up over time. Oiling the valves at the end of the day helps decrease deposition that occurs with drying. I oil frequently to prevent drying out (which leaves these residues on the valve)ie, every day or two.

7. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    That is exactly why I responded before or whenever the valves need it in my original comment. Not to mention as you have pointed out afterwards. Actually in a newer horn or one with tight fitting valves I have been advised by manufacturers of pro horns to even pull out the valves and swipe the valves casing to remove metal fragments as they are being in the breaking in phase. Specifically, Jerome Callet advises this on his site. It makes perfect sense to me.
    Thanks for your response.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I was reading the original directions that came with my Martin Committee, and they were discussing the unique valve design of the Committee that recirculates the air through the valve casing. It stated that in addition to direct oiling the valve, dropping valve oil down the first valve tuning slide (only that slide) enhances the respose of the valve action. Has anyone else heard this? Is this recommendation unique to the Committee?

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I saw an article where the valves were oiled through the water dumps. The pictures in the article were hand drawn and looked like they were done in the 50's. So yes I have seen this. I tried it a few times and didn't notice any difference.

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    On my rotary valve coronet, I oil the valves by pulling each valve slide and squirting a couple drops down toward each rotor while working it. That's the only way to do it without disconnecting the string linkage and taking the valve apart.