Oiling valve before or after playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Dec 15, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Common sense 101:

Lubrication is based on surfaces being isolated by a film of lubricant. In our case, valve oil is pretty thin, there is no pressurized system to "relube" and we are blowing moisture and aerosols into the horn while playing. We are not pushing the valves down straight and the oil has a tendency to evaporate, leaving only the moisture of our breath and the sludge from the aerosols in the valve casing. Water does not lubricate well. Petroleum based oils do a decent job for about 1 day. Synthetic oils last longer, but the sludge stays in the valve casing longer too!

I will say, if we take good care of the horn and oil daily, it doesn't matter if we oil before going to bed, after brushing our teeth in the morning, before, or after playing.

If my valve stuck in a concert once, I would be really mad that I didn't lubricate before going on stage however. If YOUR valves stuck in a concert, you can figure out what the rest of the world would think..........

Now go do the right thing.

2. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011

No. Not everybody "cheats."

Remove the valve. Oil daily....at least

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    The Germans are so clever. I oil my valves 2 minutes before I play. Is there any other way that makes sense ? Boy.... we TMers will talk at length on any subject. As an aside here, I had sluggish valves on my Schilke years ago and I was to play in about 15 minutes. It was kind of scarey. I had NO valve oil in my case. The choir director was very understanding and helpful. He asked if I could use his contact lens cleaner. It worked fine for the 30 or so minutes of playing !!!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you are talking about rotary valves, you are absolutely right - far less maintenance. If you are talking about me, well, I'm an American.

5. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Yes rotary valves. I'm not ready for rotary valves. I can't even keep up with the piston valves now. If I don't oil them, my fingers can keep up !

6. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    My teacher recommends also wiping the valve off with a clean rag before oiling. This can help get the crap off of your valve, and makes sure you don't apply oil on top of oil that may still be on the valve.

7. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    That might also deposit more crap on your valve than you started out with...especially if it's a regular non-lint-free rag.
    And even if it's lint-free, and even if it's clean by 'people standards', it could still have plenty of contaminants.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When you gotta go ... you gotta go ... just raise your hand ... and go ........................................................... !

Shame on your parody of the Scot's Robert Burns ... may you be banished to containment for 48 hours listening to piobrachts blown on the pipes and eating only a gruel of oatmeal.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A Microfibre rag if at all possible, but if you've your valve out, why not clean the casing also ... and do a thorough task of it.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    For the life of me -- I can't figure out what ALL you people put into your horns to get them so dirty!!!!! ---- (until the last few months) - I had been playing my trumpet for nearly 3 hours a day for nearly 3 years --- and when I cleaned it out once a year ---- you could hardly tell there was any dirt ---it is relatively clean. (I usually oil the valves everyday - or so) --------????????????????????????????????