Oiling valve before or after playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I wasn't referring to dirt, but the residue left on by some valve oils/valve action. Since I use Al Cass, I like to make sure the residue doesn't build, though daily oiling I'm sure takes care of that as well. And really, a cloth won't leave contaminants, that's a little bit too much thought about it.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So Chuck, do you oil your first valve slide as well, as is recommended on the original instructions I received with my Martin Committee?

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Diligent oral hygiene lessens the gunk, but if you gave your instrument a bath only once in one year, I dare you to have it fiber optic internally scope inspected under magnification. Otherwise, you didn't filter or centrifuge your bathwater. I'd rather mask and wear sani-gloves when cleaning another's instruments about 95+% of the time.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    First of all, parody is the kindest form of flattery.... And it made Monte Python a Sh*t load of money. God knows as an academic physician, I could use the extra cash.
    Second of all, I'm Hungarian, and in only 5 seconds will have taken advantage of the pipers gullability and have them basting in a swill of oatmeal based gulash for all to enjoy, as I take their first born into my gypsy camp site and teach them how to play bebop that would do Dizzy proud, AND be taugth to oil their valves when ever they darned well wanna.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Well, you pushed me to again listen to my rendition of Georges Bizet's Gypsy Dance. Well, you know Auld Lang Syne has to be in all of our repertoires for New Years gigs if we're not high brow playing Radetzky's March, but I've a short version where I attempt on cornet to skirl like a bagpipe that is always good for a few laughs or thumbs down depending on how much the audience has imbibed.

I have used oatmeal that I toasted as a filler in one of my meatloafs, but don't know why it wouldn't do as well in a goulash or even a Mulligan Stew, Hobo Hash, or Chop Suey, the latter really a Brit dish. Whatever, I eat oatmeal for breakfast most Sunday mornings garnished with a bit of fruit ... too frequently at other times. Use to bed my honey mead with it. Good stuff!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  7. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    The best time to oil your valves is ten minutes before they stop coming up.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Wise guy ..... :-P .... Actually, that's exactly what I do, oil them when they need it. That's not every day (Ultra Pure).

Turtle

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Oil you do is try to make puns, Doc, why do you T-oil at it so? It's oily going to get worse, do you never loin?

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio