Oiling valve before or after playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Dec 15, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Do you think the horns are using Ultra Pure for this cut?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I use ZAJA Orange --- so who cares what anybody else uses????
    ........knock, knock!!!!.
    ....who's there????.
    ..Orange!!!!........
    Orange who????......
    .Orange you glad KINGTRUMPET gives the best advice to all you confused adults, and young students on TM??????????????

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    NOW I understand your avatar KT.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yup! can't bear to watch all of you playing on the wrong trumpet, the wrong mpcs, and NOW using the wrong oil on your valves ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. michaelbsc

michaelbsc New Friend

Oct 19, 2011
    SC weekdays, NC weekends
    I ran across, and bought, a King Cleveland cornet. Plays pretty good. Does that get me off the hook for having the wrong horn?

At least I'm tryin.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Please, please Michael, please do not feed the animals. It's a rule here on TM, no politics, no religion and definitely, you cannot feed the animals!

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah, at least your in the correct direction with a KING -- although it's a cornet (((let's forget that argument))) -- Yeah, you have a KING trumpet(uh-baby trumpet) -- yeah, baby steps is better than NO steps at all like these other TM'rs ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Well, maybe not massive amounts, but traces nonetheless. The average cloth puts off lint, as you would find in your dryer screen, and also harbors dust (as well as mites and crap). Is it enough to cause massive damage? Not really. But IMO, it's just better to employ the washing action of daily oiling. To me, wiping off past oil, which washed away debri, while depositing some small amount of fiber and dust particles with a rag, is quite counterproductive. Yes, there are lint-free cloths, and micro-fibers, but I still would use soap and water, or valve oil.

...Kind of the point of oiling every day IMO, is to have a constant washing action by the oil. If you wipe off the oil every day, you interrupt that process, and basically are starting off at square-one every day.

In the end, you do what you want with your horn, and I'll do what I want with mine. It's just that I have a certain amount of industrial experience with various grades of clean-room environments, and used to earn a living keeping things from getting contaminated, so it's kind of a habit with me.

9. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Quite understandable, surely, and I agree with the idea of oil doing the washing action. But my teacher's my teacher, and she's been doing this for a while, so I figure it's best to listen to her.

10. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I love the smell of a freshly oiled horn. It gives me that “Yeah I’m home” feeling you know, the fresh oil aroma that surrounds you when you start to play. I use “Blue Juice”, works great
    on my valves. I’ve found that most brass repair guys suggest blue juice also. When I get cut I think I bleed valve oil.
    By the way I oil about every other day or when they need it, which ever comes first. No big ceremony here, just pull the valve out about 1/3 of the way, Oil and return….