OK, here we go again

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dean_0, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Tarh331_Dad

Tarh331_Dad Piano User

Jan 14, 2014
    PS: To the best of my knowledge, The Boss never played a Getzen. Although he did play Elkhorn Holtons, and Elkhorn made him a superbone, which was pretty awesome.

Christine has an entire page devoted to Conn's valved trombones [from almost a century earlier]:

Conn Loyalist - Valve Trombone Model List

Conn even made a slide Cornet, which is possibly the single awesome-est concept that I've ever tried to ponder in the entire theory of Brasswinds.

Although I'd love to get my hands on a Sarrusophone.

2. Tarh331_Dad

Tarh331_Dad Piano User

Jan 14, 2014
    Send the kid to school with a silver Conn Elkhart slide Cornet in Bb.

LOL'ed.

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Hmmm, this train is going off the tracks!

4. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    It is really inappropriate to use that kind of language in a family-friendly forum.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Tarh331_dad: you were asked politely to knock it off and you just ramped it up. Maybe you think it is funny, but trust me when I say you are wrong. Why you get a thrill out of offending other TMers is beyond me. Please stop it now, delete the offending words, and apologize.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Guys.......

It's been a while.......

But I am about to BAN a member.

PLEASE WATCH THE LANGUAGE, WE ARE A STUDENT-PARENT- MEMBER FRIENDLY FORUM

veery715 likes this.
  7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Man, a red chiclet. It's been a looooong time since I've seen one of those.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Am I the only one here who thinks that a silver trumpet for a 6th grader might not be the best idea? Silver takes a fair amount more maintenance than lacquer - it's the chief reason my current axe is lacquered, and I may never go back to a silver plated trumpet again.

9. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    We're talking about appeal to a young player. THAT is why silver is preferred. I would rather help a young player take care of their instrument than have them be disappointed because of a finish. When I look at the trumpet section at the middle school where I teach, silver is the status finish.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that I didn't understand why the kid wants the silver plated horn. I understood that - I just think that silver plating and 6th grade don't necessarily go hand in hand, especially when the silver plating has nothing to do with playability. Even when I was growing up, silver was the status finish, along with the assumption that if someone had a silver plated trumpet, then that person must also be a good player, and serious about being a musician.