OK, here we go again

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dean_0, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    I'm with you ,however i want him to be proud of his equip ,and i will explain it over and over that it's how you can play, not the color of the horn that makes you cool ,but we all remember how it was back in the day ;-)

Dean_0

2. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Smart Kid .........:woop:

Dean_0

3. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Well ,,,,maybe it was Maynard Mostly ???:D

Dean_0

4. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Good advice i have been looking at them ,seriously.

Dean_0

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I remember that back in the day, there wasn't anyone on the western 3/4 of the state who was anywhere near where I was - my solo and ensemble competition trophies and medals, as well as my seat placement at All-State band, (Nebraska All-State band, incidentally) proved the point. That's what I remember. :cool:

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Maybe it was cultural, I don't know, but I don't think there was one trumpet player I knew through Jr. and Sr. high who had any regard for finish per se. I mean, someone might have had, for example a copper bell that looked cool and some would say, "Hey, that looks cool". But no ran out and bought one and it didn't become a status symbol.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I had a sax player tell me that silver horns were brighter sounding. I just smiled. The brightest horn I own is a 40B in lacquer. I have learned though that it may have been originally silver. Lacquer was all the rage in the '30s and Conn would redo them for customers. My high school band was a hodge podge of makes and finishes, but nobody forgets my Getzen 900H in silver! :cool:

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There was definitely something to it when I was coming up through the ranks. When I was in school, the silver trumpets really stood out in what was otherwise a sea of lacquer. Silver was more expensive, so that meant that whoever it was that had the silver trumpet was really serious about it, and it indicated at a glance that this was not your average trumpet player, but someone to take seriously. Usually the silver trumpets didn't start to appear until around 8th grade or later. I got my first silver trumpet halfway through 8th grade, (1984/85) and I've played a silver trumpet ever since up until I got my Jupiter 1600i earlier this year. Again, at this point I don't want a silver trumpet.

For some reason my hands get along well with lacquer finishes (never had a problem with my flugels - all lacquer) so it's a matter of making for easier maintenance - I can run the horn under the faucet in cool water, wipe it down with a soft cloth, and it's done. No more silver polish, no more special silver polishing cloths impregnated with some polishing compound, no more scrubbing to get the black marks off from around the valves, (yes, I understand that if I maintained the finish more often there wouldn't be that issue) it's just a much simpler process.