OK HERE WE GO !!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by eclipse trumpets, Nov 19, 2003.

1. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Ok folks!

The contest kicks off on Monday 24th November.

We will run through to January 25th 2004! You may think this is ages, but many people complained last time that they didnt see it until too late,and with christmas and new year in the middle you all know how quick it comes around. (This is also my birthday BTW, so any huge presents may be sent to the address on the website! thanks in advance!)

Plus it will also give you time to edit/ sharpen your answers if you feel you need to.
    The Site has not long moved as you are aware, and it gives all the people who have not yet joined or are thinking of joining, time to do just that and have a go at this too!

I think someone mentioned "will it only benefit the more established members?"
    Absolutely not! is the answer to that.
    All registered members have the same chance to win.
    We at Eclipse do not care if you are white,black,yellow,blue with pink spots! All religions! All Countries (yes that includes Canada! just kidding Tootsall)

As usual there ARE rules:-

1 Entries made before the start date or after the finish date, will not be judged.
    2 Sorry but no traders,dealers or anyone employed or connected to either Eclipse Trumpets or The TrumpetMaster Website may enter. (this is just for the players)
    3 You must be a registered member of this site.
    4 Strictly 1 entry per member.
    5 Only entries posted within this forum will be judged.

If anyone needs to ask anything, then please feel free to contact either Myself,Horns of Praise or TM, i am sure one of us can help you!

Ok thats the bad stuff! Now whats in it for you?

Well maybe something like this?

http://www.eclipsetrumpets.com/cust.htm

I am sure that Paul Nelson will confirm that he didnt get just an ordinary trumpet sent to him. The white lightning horn took a good deal of time and care to build.
    This is the type of thing that the winner can expect.

The value of the prize is somewhere around $5000 , so its worth a go at least.
    We NEVER make a copy of any custom horns that we make! custom means custom!

Well that is about it for now

Your tasks/questions will be posted on Sunday 23rd November!

Some further info will also be provided

Best of luck everyone

Leigh Mckinney

Eclipse Trumpets

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Leigh...you DO want to go fly fishing for big brown trout somewhere around Calgary Stampede time, don't you? :lol: (Gee...maybe you could even bring my trumpet with you...it'd save on shipping and you would have a chance to do those final, last minute "tweaks"~)

3. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Rule no.6 No trying to bribe the judges with the prospect of trout fishing in Canada! (although it does sound tempting :lol:

Regards

Leigh

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Uh huh. I got my offer in before you posted the rule against it! :D

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm gonna be all over this one! I was an idiot to not even try last time, not that I would have come up with a better essay than Paul did.

I can hardly wait! :D

6. Thevor

Thevor Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2003
    Next to the Volcano
    Leigh wrote: No trying to bribe the judges with the prospect of trout fishing in Canada

Whew! At least that doesn't leave out bribes of trout fishing in Washington State....... some of the best known stream and river fishing in the world. :wink:

Thevor

7. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2003
    Phoenix, Az
    Hello Everyone!!!
    Wow! This is my first post on this site and boy an I excited!!! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. Best of luck to everyone on TM and many thanks to Eclipse for their incredible generosity!!!
    Sincerely,
    Dan

8. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Hi folks,

I suspect that many people unfamiliar with the original contest are curious as to what my entry looked like. So...I have pasted it below:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A) INNOVATION - The trumpet would be built around the concept of being as lightweight and responsive as possible. Bracing would be kept to an absolute minimum (you do not have to use trial and error to "sweetspot" braces that don't exist in the first place). This concept would ensure that stress is not "designed and built" into the horn. Soldered attachment points between the horns individual components would be only where they are necessary, and not dictated by past, traditional trumpet design.

There would not be any Z-braces on either side of the valve cluster. This would "free the bell" as on a tuning bell trumpet. The bell assembly would be soldered only at the normal first valve exit location and a second point at the second valve casing. The bell would be one-piece hand spun yellow brass.

The leadpipe would be attached from the mouthpiece receiver back to the first valve casing, and at a second point at the third valve casing.

B) THEME - The trumpet would be named "White Lightning". The trumpet would be colored in WHITE PEARL lacquer with the following POLISHED BRASS accents in clear lacquer:

1) Inside of bell.
    2) Mouthpiece receiver.
    3) Valve cluster, and top and bottom valve caps.
    4) Water keys (amado).
    5) First valve saddle (or ring).
    6) Third valve ring.
    7) Pinky hook (or ring).

The trumpet would be marketed as being "ultra" lightweight and responsive. The response would be "as fast as lightning" with the "buzz" you're looking for.

C) WHY I SHOULD WIN - I am an amatuer player. I can relate to and identify with the majority of trumpet players worldwide. We have the same needs and I can convey to them how the horn "works" should I receive it.

My design will give the average "trumpet geek" (which exists a little bit in all of us) the horn they "really" want.

And finally, I'm a really nice guy. If you met me you would feel compelled to do this for me "out of the goodness of your heart"!!!

Getzen Eterna 700S

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I'm not saying that my entry contains a "winning formula", because we still need to see what kind of contest objectives Leigh requires. But, it should give you an idea of what "trips his trigger" and gets his attention.

And yes, as Leigh pointed out, "White Lightning" is one-of-a-kind. And whoever wins is going to get a horn that is one-of-a-kind. Nothing else like it in the world...guaranteed. :wink:

I hope this helps. Buckle up folks!!! :D

9. WaxHaX0rS

WaxHaX0rS New Friend

Nov 16, 2003
    Wow, I hope we don't have to type anything like that this time. Let's just say that I'm not exactly the most experienced trumpet player in the world, I just recently got my first pro-instrument =/

10. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    WaxHaXOrS,

The only qualification you need is an imagination. Give it your best shot. You have nothing to lose...and everything to gain.

Be well.