Ok, I just got the word! Brass Bow. VS. Yamaha!!!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by NickD, Jun 15, 2005.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

I just talked to the Brass Bow.

It seems I am now the owner of a collectors item!

Cool!

Peace.

Nick ;-)

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    lol, congrats.... what are we talking about? :D

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Nick owns and plays a Chicago Brass Works horn. It has just become public that Wayne Tanabe has sold his stake in "The Brass Bow" and will no longer make CBW horns... he has accepted a position as the head of Yamaha's Custom Division. Therefore owners of CBW horns now have collector's items.

Th.th.th.th....that's all, ffffolks.

4. NickD

NickD Forte User

Heh, heh!

Yeah, Toots! You've got it. Wayne has been snagged by Yamaha and is already in NYC! I understand he is also engaged! I've known Wayne for 26 years! He has kept the whole marriage thing at bay pretty well, but some young lady has finally gotten into his heart. Man, that's so cool. Wayne's a great guy.

This is pretty heady stuff around Chicago. There is one person here who I think could carry the Torch of Tanabe, and that's Steve Winans of Dr. Valves. Mark Hamaleve (spelling????) has left Chicago for Colorado. I'm sure there are some amazing folks I haven't heard of yet. This will be interesting to observe!

I am seriously gonna mothball this horn (my CBW GSC) as soon as I can. I don't think there's more than a dozen or so running around out there. I honestly believe this will be a collector's item that I want to leave for my kids as an heirloom. It is like new (I've been pretty darn careful with it!) and beautifully gold plated. I'm going to write up a complete history of the axe and Wayne and keep ithem all toghether. Sure I'll pull it out on special occasions and for the odd concert in which I know things will be under control. However, I will not be bringing it into the trenches of jobbing anymore, given the unusual circumstances of CBW.

Now, of course, that begs the question, "What horn could I possibly use in it's place that could measure up or exceed my expectations?" The bar has been set pretty high. There are so many nice instruments out there, but I will want to use something pretty darn special. It will have to be something that will qualify as a collector's item someday, too.

Things to make you go, "hmmmmmmm..."

Peace!

Nick

PS: Toots, geeze, man! I just checked out your posts record! Yer' crowdin' 1900! Holy mackeral, do I feel like a slacker!

5. pmkt16

pmkt16 New Friend

Oct 24, 2004
    Chicago
    WOW! So now who can I trust with my horn. In the matter of a few weeks I've lost a teacher/repair dude/buddy and now THE repair dude. At least I know Mark will enjoy Colorado.

6. sublmbadfish

sublmbadfish Pianissimo User

Jul 9, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Man...whats going to happen to brass bow. I was gonna go on friday to get some work done. Are they still operating. When did mark leave? I was interested in starting up lessons with him, i heard he was awesome.

7. NickD

NickD Forte User

The Brass Bow...

I talked to the folks at the Brass Bow yesterday. It is my understanding that it is to be sold, but to someone with skills and vision similar to Wayne's. Big shoes to fill to say the least.

Until things get sorted out there, you might give Dr. Valves (Steve Winans) a shot. I have yet to have him work on my horns, but I have seen his work, and I must say that I am impressed. He did a restoration job on a late 19th century cornet a former student of mine turned up with. It was stunning in its beauty and played wonderfully. Who knows! Maybe Steve will be the new guy!

BTW, pmkt16 and sublmbadfish, do I know you folks? I see your from around here (here = Chicago, in this case).

Were going to have to see what happens.

Ok, gotta split!

Nick

8. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    I went to the CBW website their is a video clip of Rich Szabo playing a double high C. Before he does he says the horn he is playing was made by Wayne Tannabe(sp). He designed the Phaeton too if I am not mistaken. Correct me if I am wrong. :-?

9. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Re: Heh, heh!

Is Dave Lotozo still with Yamaha in the NY proshop? If not, does anyone know where he'll land.

Dave

10. NickD

NickD Forte User

Answer to a couple of queries...

Wayne did, indeed, design the original Phaeton, though I THINK they were built by the LA Sax Company. I really am nut sure about that part.

He did the design, final manufacure and tweaking of the CBW's. I'm not sure what the details of Rich's involvement was.

As to Dave Lotozo, I've got no clure. Sorry. Perhaps anotehr reader will.

TTFN

ND