Ok I'm seriously exasperated

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    How in the world do you play these two-note combinations at any kind of speed: A F A F or G E G E (on the staff, lower, slurred) I can play them just fine when I'm playing at a tempo that lets me concentrate on loosening ever so slightly to get the F or E instead of the Bb or A. But at any kind of speed I just get A Bb A Bb or G A G A. I can't figure it out and I'm coming close to my 10k times trying. If possible, could someone post a youtube video or something demonstrating playing these fast. I SAY IT IT CAN'T BE DONE! :shock:

2. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    Practice is the best thing to do. I used some clarkes techical studies "drills" to help with my trills. Its a cheap book and a good investment. It sounds like your trying to MAKE it happen. Loosen up alittle and keep your air stream the same. You don't really need to change much for single note intervals or things like that. If you have been trying 10,000 times to do something then I think you should stop and come back to it later. Sometime when I am having problems with a run, if I just put my horn down and wait till the next day it just slowly hits me. Plus it saves me from getting all worked up about not hitting the correct note. Just take your time.

3. trumpeterjake

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    Oh.. and I have seen people have your problem when they don't sit right as they are playing, so that is something to watch out for to! Everyday just play dcdcdcd or efefefe or whatever one you want that might cause you problems. Start slowly and work up to 16th notes SLOWLY. I find it keeps them from getting sloppy and gives control. Keep slamming those valves down to. You should feel them hit! =D ... well...maybe not SLAM....

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    might also try to finger the A and E with the 3rd valve only (alternative fingering) --- well OK -- on the G E interval slur, where the alternative fingering is acceptable. (I am not sure it helps -- but I believe it takes your mind off of the problem of "overthinking" -- and perhaps relaxes you a bit (thinking you have a secret weapon at hand) --- either way, it does help at times --
    good luck!!! try not to get frustrated -- that never helps!!!!

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I think everyone has their own bug-a-boo. Sorry, but not much of a problem for me to do this, but rest assured there is something else that trips me up. I wont go off subject on my problems so lets just say that you just need to relax and find that level of air and buzz that nails those notes. Sorry that I cant give you a magical nugget of knowledge to solve your dilemma. Best wishes.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  6. christophac7

christophac7 Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2012
    Boca Raton, FL
    What has helped me in the past with stuff like this is thinking about "falling" from the A to the F and from the G to E. If you think about your embouchure for that portion being set to not go higher then the top note, should help. The inverse being true if you have trouble going up (i.e. C to Bb when you mean C to D, damn Carnival of Venice), that you're aiming to hit that top note.

7. trumpeterjake

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    when Im having trouble with a note run, I always play it on piano so I can hear each note before I play it. It mentaly prepares me for the note. I find it easier that way! If you can't play piano just have someone else do it, but this is really one of those times playing with someone better then you comes in handy.

8. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I'm sure there is a trick to getting the muscle memory down.

Try this:
    Play the A-F pattern a few times. Then reverse it to an F-A pattern (while technically not reversed, this "mental" reversement makes a difference).
    Then play the E-F pattern a few times. Then reverse it.

Building up the tempo all the while.

I hope you are trying to make as little jaw/tongue motion as possible. You need to get the smoothness, sound, and speed down BEFORE thinking about perfect intonation (if this statement helps at all).

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I vote for Kingtrumpet's recommendation. Keep it simple in as many ways as possible to concentrate more on accuracy. Hear it and you will play it.

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I think KT & the Doctor are correct. Don't over analyze it. Mental blocks are meant to be conquered. This is definitely a mental block. I'd slow it down until I got it; then, gradually increase tempo.
    Best Regards

kingtrumpet likes this.