Ok I'm seriously exasperated

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Aug 13, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have a few things that I do ...
    I practice slurring the partial, so instead of A to F ... I play A to E ... then I alternate between the two .. a maybe a measure of each.
    I really concentrate on no movement of the jaw while I am doing that as well.
    also ..
    I found that practicing long tones super soft has helped me play more efficiently and with less pressure. When that happens you can move across the partials with less effort.

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I got lost in the first post, when I thought we were talking about A to F and G to E and then somehow Bb came in from left field and I haven't recovered. But here are some very common ways of treating fingering problems between two notes:

- practice no faster than you can play without error. Your muscles don't know whether something is "right" or "wrong". They just remember what they're taught. Play slow to play fast.

- change the rhythms between the two notes. If you have eighth notes to play, play them repeatedly as dotted eighth and sixteenth notes, making sure that the 16th to the following 8th is precise and exactly in time. Play with the opposite rhythm. When you play these two rhythmic patterns enough, with precision, you'll feel a difference when you go back to 8th notes.

Regarding playing alternate 3rd valve in place of 1&2 that's cheating. I do it all the time. :D But that's different. OP, the kind of problems you seem to be having, IMO you need to resolve them with the conventional fingerings because your problems are ones of coordination that will occur in other fingering patterns that you'll need this facility for.

3. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    uhh just keep practicing and be patient! Or how about you start practicing on being patient then everything els will fall in its place. Looks like you already got the practicing part down. Now for the patience.

4. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Plus one for "Clarkes Techical Studies " and gentle practice.

5. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Wow, great advice everybody thanks!! Something tells me too, that after relaxing more, working it slow, etc. the main thing is going to be mental and aural (like a few folks said)...hear it, think it, do it. 2nd 10k here I come.

6. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    One problem identification not addressed in the various replies is the possibility of playing consistently on the high side of the pitch rather than the center of the pitch. This would cause the A - Bb / E - G problem.

I liked the concept mentioned about doing the A - E / E - A lip slurs to get comfortable with the downward slurs.

Also work to focus the air stream right in the middle of the slur rather than trying to loosen up the embouchure.

Good luck...

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida