OK, need help here

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Doc, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Doc

Doc New Friend

Sep 15, 2005
    I'm not a player but I bought a old bugle at auction (1890 - 1919) and was wondering where to take it to be restored. I'd like to use a good restorer because I've had it appraised and I believe it would be a good investment.

Could any of you kind persons direct me to a good restoration company or individual. I live in Ohio so if you know of one close to me that would be great.

2. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
  3. Doc

Doc New Friend

Sep 15, 2005
    Great

Thank you for the quick response. I'll check him out!

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Is Wayne still there? I thought he'd been hired away.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    no he is not there anymore, and they are really limited in what they can do now a days. They are in limbo pretty much. Any parts he made or certain things he did such as triggers and PVAs are no longer done. They can still do all their repair work. best to call and speak to them one on one, they dont answer their emails.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Question for Doc.... why do you think you want to restore it? Sometimes old horns are better off if left "as is". Seems collectors often want them "untouched" and their value is actually higher than if you have it "cleaned up" and brought back to "factory new" condition.

You might want to check with a collector (Nick DeCarlis is one such) and get their opinion before you do something that is irreversible.

7. Doc

Doc New Friend

Sep 15, 2005
    How do I contact?

You may be right. I was told by the appraiser that it would be worth considerably more if restored but that may not necessarilly be the case.

Please forgive me but given that I am not in the industry, could you please tell me how to contact these people? ie: the collector you mentioned above?

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!