OK time for dumb question # *->@

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Oct 15, 2015.

1. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I think that Goldilocks would approve also! :lol:

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Petroleum jelly doesn't work so well on some slides; movement is not always smooth. Schilke Tuning Slide Grease works best for me.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I must admit I've never used Shilke tuning slide grease. Once when I was too lazy to hunt up slide grease I actually used Crisco with no ill effects after washing out one of my horns.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Talk about stinking up a case ... when that Crisco became rancid. Lard too! Still, in certain times one "makes do" with what is available. I prefer lanolin as I'm not allergic to it.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I too have a lifetime supply of Selmer tuning slide & cork grease. This is my second bottle, which is irritating. The first bottle was no where near empty, but the corners cracked from age and it leaked the red goopy stuff on my valve oil, slide grease, mpc, brass cleaning supply shelf. For normal use, it's all one needs. Old Hetmans #9 was great for loose slides but was a PAIN to use. I too have a lifetime supply of it given to me by a player who tired of the long "strings" created by trying to extract a small amount from the little tub. Other's mileage may vary.

gunshowtickets likes this.
  6. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I wrapped mine in electrical tape.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    So, uh, Goldilocks uses Vaseline?

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I think we just found the dumb question , in question. (like my use of punctuation?) Best wishes.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I didn't read all the post .. Selmer changed there slide grease and now I believe it reads Bach slide grease. The Herco, little black tub, is the best 3rd valve slide grease I have ever tried.

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    O dear. That name does not export well. And to think that I sometimes felt a slight twinge of embarrassment asking for a jar of vaseline.