Okay so beware over much fiddling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cornyandy, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Okay I have just had a very interesting session of practice.

First the background. I set my mouthpiece very low, which is probably why I like the asymetric trumpet piece. I think this is because as a child I was given a very small deep cornet mouthpiece and as I grew I never changed the set position on my top lip. After a long layoff I set a newer larger mouthpiece on the top lip where I used to and was away

So early this year I went to a teacher who decided my set was far too low and got me to try to switch to a fifty fifty set. Oh boy have I strugled all year with sort of blind spot between Ab above the stave and B then it opened back up and I was able to get up to G above the stave. Now the asymetric has give me the clue, I returned today to a deliberately low set and bang everything fits again. I have parted company with the teacher and am with someone else who is encouraging me to paly as naturally as possible.

Just sharing guys

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    What I have repeated to my students for over 40 years teaching math: do what I say ... after checking yourselves !

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I have to say it was wierd the way everything just relaxed back into place and my own (old fashioned) sound was back. Me Happy bunny today

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Once again it shows at least two things - Wilmer Wise once said to me here on TM - "Don't over-analyse", ans secondly, we each know more about trumpeting than we realise.

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    If it aint broke it dont need fixing, as long as it is comfortable and gets results that is how to go.

I went to a teacher a while ago, before he had even seen or heard me play he demonstrated the "correct" embouchure and mouthpiece placement. I have not been back.

Regards, Stuart.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You chose wisely.

7. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    One day, when he was already very famous, Max Roach went to see a great classical percussionist for a lesson. The very first remark Max received from him was something like "You can not play properly, you hold your sticks in a bad way"… Max Roach never came back to him !

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Play it your way ... THEN I'll know how to teach you to improve upon the way YOU play.

There is a very pleasant and very elementary song that probably was among the very first songs we learned. You guessed it! It is Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star that we all should now be able to play blindfolded. However, played with octave ascending leaps with the syllables of the "Twinkle" and then descending an octave from the high of the syllables for "Little" to complete with an ascending slur for an octave with "Star", I now find to be quite a work-out part of a warm-up ... for me and fun for the 4 boys I'm now tutoring in their second year on trumpet. My playing it with the boys, I'll purposely 'mess up' and ask the boys what was wrong ... and I'm very pleased that they knew ... but were looking at each other with the accusation and not me. When I admitted that I had played it wrong they were surprised ... and laughed. We all make mistakes, but when we recognize them we can correct them ... and that is the purpose of practice ... so that we can play it perfect when we do perform.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    We had a thread that asked how we recognise a good teacher - at least one of them seems to come in the shape of Ed Lee. Be a facilitator not a lecturer.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Thanks for the accolade Ted, but even though I have credentials for teaching I did not like it, and that is why I chose and keep using the term "tutor". Succinctly, I really don't care how these boys learn as long as they enjoy doing it and with that we are much further along in the same series of books they're using in their instrumental music in the local schools. It's not me ... I'm just providing them the opportunity, and if I can be so blunt, giving their parents a respite, knowing their children are cared for. In our one hour sessions, the boys play their instruments for 20 minutes, rest 20 minutes, and then play 20 more minutes. Thus it is only in the 20 minutes they are resting, that I can talk, play a CD or demonstrate.

Understand too, it's a matter of them being able to make do with whatever the instruments are that are available to them, and believe me when I say their parents could not afford to provide better. Well, neither could mine when I began, but still such is why I demonstrate with student quality instruments.

To avoid any insinuation to defame my character, I chose to tutor only in public space, first it was the Lions Club, and presently the County Cultural and Wellness Center although while it is being used for elections we're temporarily banned, but in lieu tomorrow night we'll have our session in the real estate offices here with picture windows in view of anyone passing by and the Sheriff's office across the street.

So I'm charging $60.00 for the hour ... but each parent pays only $15.00. If one boy quits, each would pay $20.00, 2 quit and then they pay $30.00 etc. One almost quit this year due to a parental domestic problem.

Last year they performed in unison a simplified version I prepared of Hark! The Herald Angels Sing at our Christmas caroling at the Courthouse Gazebo. I let them chose which one they'd like to perform this year and they unaminously chose O Little Town Of Bethlehem. I then tossed the kicker at them that each would play a different part and they agreed to draw straws for who would play each part. Now I've got the task to get my new Finale operable so that I can provide the music for them, transposing from piano music, and lifting the T-bone and tuba parts from the bass clef into the treble clef ... so you know how I spend my tutoring fees. Last year I gifted each of them a Kelly 5C mouthpiece for Christmas.

Too, 5 copies of each of four books in the series isn't FREE, but they are loaners. Still, I've applied clear 3M Postal tape to their splines and Bookbumpers to the cover corners. I know it would be very rare if any of you knew what Bookbumpers are, so PM me and I'll be happy to tell you all about my nephew's invention and where you can get them. Enjoy!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012