Old blue Rubank book - OK?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Should'a popped for the extra bux and got a mel bay or something..... dunno...

is this book OK?
    I can play the stuff on the page that's Lesson 1 but it doesn't sound very musical to me, frankly.

What does everything think? Got any good book suggestions? I want to learn to play and read music too!

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The Edwards- Hovey Trumpet Method was my first trumpet book. I think it's a better choice than Rubank.
    Wilmer

3. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

I'll have to see what I can come across.... the library sometimes has books on sale for like 50 cents no kidding.

I can do the "how to play trumpet" C scale in wikihow, anyway.

4. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    I'm using it, too. My teacher learned from it (back when that cover was considered the latest in design) and still prefers it: he says kids finish today's method books knowing only 4 scales. (I haven't checked this out.)

Are you referring to the Elementary Method? Where Lesson 1 consists of whole notes and whole rests? If so, and you're just beginning, it's probably the perfect way to start. Build up some strength now and everything that follows will be easier.

On the other hand, I don't know that finding another book with simple tunes would do any harm - maybe combine the solid foundation Rubank will give you with some fun playing?

5. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Yeppers Jude that's the one - whole notes, whole rests..... 1,2,3,4, tum tum tum tum lol.

It seems like the 4 notes taught on that page are the first four in "When The Saints Go Marching In" lol, I hope I am doing them right.

As for fun playing, no problemo, just pick out stuff I know, that's why I'm eager to get to be able to play all the notes on this thing well, then I can play all kinds of stuff. But I want to learn to read music and play that way too.

6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I used it as a beginner. These days I would use it with older beginners that have the discipline to work on the basics, or as a remedial text but I think a lot of kids would revolt with it. just pulled my copy out near the back they have exercises in 4 sharps, sixteenth notes, dotted eighth notes, 6/8 and 2/2.

7. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    And duets from L'Elisire d'amore and Lucia di Lammermoor...

Out of sheer curiosity, what do the modern elementary method books end with (the ones with colored illustrations, for example)? When I was selecting a book I just flipped through a bunch and decided they all seemed pretty baby-ish without looking too closely and then asked whether the Rubank was still available. Somebody must be still using the series: the store had a couple of file-cabinet drawers full of them.

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

A couple of years ago I decided to be a 'Comebacker' afterr 45 years away from the trumpet/cornat. I had the Old brown covered Arbans book and the newer Carl Fischer version that I had picked up for one of my grandkids that only tried the trumpet for a short time, and the old blue Ruebanks Method. For a starter I used the blue book and played from the hymnal for melodic and more sight reading of those hymns that I was not familiar with. I don't know if the Rubanks books are still in print, but, I personally think that for a 'comebacker' they would be ideal.

OLDLOU>>

9. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Okee dokee! Playing by ear no problem, but I want to be able to read those "bugs" (printed music) too. I was learning violin about a year ago, the biggest challenge for my teacher was to NOT play by ear and to read the music - he had me doing it too! But the violin was a rental and had to go back.

I have heard, here in the town square, what happens when a guy plays violin but has no "ear" it's not very pretty, not at all.

10. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    I like the rubank book