Old blue Rubank book - OK?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

OK! It sounds like I am on the right track. Thanks all!

2. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    The Rubank books are kind of boring, but they do focus on scales pretty well. Since you have it you may as well use it, but supplement it with another book of etudes or something more musical. The one I used to use when I was a student was 40 Progressive Etudes - Sigmund Herring. At least I think it was 40, the number may be different. I'm sure someone will be glad to correct me and tell me how wrong I am :)

Some of the newer books are focused on getting an elementary band up to speed and able to play simple melodies quickly, and they don't provide a focused structured approach scales.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It was my first book. Like anything else, the literature will not make you the ace trumpet player, practicing the stuff IN the book does. You do not need a "library" full of books to become great.
    I have a Rubank book here from my grandfather. It was my first book. I just looked at it. Everything somebody needs to get started is in there (except patience and diligence - there we download cracked versions from the internet.....)

4. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

I know scales are important, I've figured out that all music is based on scales!

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The nice things about the older methods is that they taught without the concept that playing the trumpet is supposed to be fun. Those of us who grew up with those old methods discovered for ourselves the delight in playing and used them as a springboard to even more satisfying music--if there is any secret to success, it is that we find playing the trumpet a wholesome and honest pleasure that other people enjoy listening to.

6. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Hells yah it's supposed to be fun, that's why I want to learn the scales and learn to read the "bugs" and all that.

7. Bugler

Bugler Banned

Rubank was my first book. I completed it in less than a year, if I recall. Then I was sent to Jimmy Burke for private lessons. We used it for 1 lesson so he could hear what I was capable of playing. Then we went right into Arban. Maybe 3 months later he had me doing Clarke Characteristic Studies, then 3 months later Clarke Technical Studies, then Best of Ernest Williams and finally, Charlier.

8. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

OK sounds good..... I've heard of arban's, when I got some dough I can get that one later when I'm done with this one I guess.

9. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Good idea...defintely get Arban's- because we're NEVER done with it! :D

10. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Edwards-Hovey here too. Man, brings back some good memories.