Old Case Smell ..... yuck.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jun 25, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Can anyone tell me how to get rid of that old musty 1937 original case smell??? :shhh:

The Turtle

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Leave it open in the sun. Febreeze may help as well...........:oops:

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    an open box of baking soda left in the closed case for a couple of days.

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Clean your horn so it doesn't stink first. Box of baking soda works well--I liberally sprinkle it inside the case and work it into the fabric too. An open box of activated charcoal can help. Anyway, after a couple of days vacuum it out really well, I let it sit open after that overnight and see what I need to do next. Sometimes I repeat, sometimes I try some Fabreez, and sometimes I get a product called carpet fresh (that's after I've given up actually trying to get rid of the smell and just want to hide it).

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Pre-brewed Coffee. One of those pre-packed paper bags are ideal, otherwise pack some yourself into a paper bag.

Works in cars, too.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Okay,

You guys know what I'm talking about. I mean, I'm all for breathing in the nostalgia of the past .... But this is too much! :lol:

The Liberty is nice and clean now and hasn't been back into the case since I got it. The case has been outside and open in the sun for nearly a week now and that has definitely helped.

I will take further measures.

Thanks! I was beginning to feel like I was in a Seinfeld episode.

T

1937 King Liberty 3B
    Curry 1TF

7. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I had an old case with a killer smell to it. Must've sprayed a whole bottle of Fabreeze in there, but to no avail. Gave the case to my friend and he stuffed it full of dried lavender and kept it in a warm place in the house for a month or so. Reall made a big difference. He's pleased, and I'm sorry I gave away a $75 trumpet case!

8. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Cedar chips?

9. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

I have used a product called Microban that takes much of the stench away. For the really hard core stinkers, a trip to a fire restoration company that will steam and ozone the case will reduce most of the offensive odor.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    First you should clean your horn. Then vacuum it out and then use Febreeze. I'd leave the case(WITHOUT THE HORN) shut for a while (overnight) to let the Febreeze permeate the inside of the case. Then the next morning open the case and let it air out till lunchtime. Then put your clean trumpet back in the case. Also, baking soda works for smells or you can mask the smell with various scented sprays. Make sure any sprays you apply to the inside of the case are dry and disipated before you put your horn in it.
    Hope this helps