Old cassette tape to digital?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Steve Davis, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Steve Davis

Steve Davis New Friend

Dec 19, 2007
    I recently came across some old and rare Chuck Mangione live performances on cassette tape. They are much better than the "Live at Hollywood Bowl" CD. This was a concert from like 1988 and is over 2 hours of live performances. It includes not only long forms of his hits, but also "My Funny Valentine". I would love to convert these to digital MP3 files. I still have a stereo with a cassette player and an auxiliary port. Does anyone know how I would go about this or if it is even possible. Please help if you can point me in the right direction.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  2. Wondra

Wondra Pianissimo User

Mar 29, 2007
    A few years ago I converted a number of cassettes and records to mp3. It was time consuming, though pretty easy to do. Stop in a Best Buy or do a search on Amazon and you'll find a package with everything you need. I bought mine for around $50 and it included the necessary software and connectors to hook up my players/turntables with my computer. The software I used (don't remember the brand anymore) gave me different choices for the final converted format, a simple program for editing the tracks, and a program for cleaning up the tracks (removing hisses, and such). Definitely not a high-end solution, though worked well enough for me.

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    The little Sony recorder I just started a thread about has a connection for an external mic and then it can connect to a computer using USB. Maybe you can LINE OUT to MIC IN using one of these, or if your computer has a mic input (like mine doesn't) then you can do it directly.

The program Audacity is free, and if your computer has a mic input then you're squared away. You really want to go LINE OUT from your recorder to MIC IN on your comp.

I myself have to be more roundabout since my comp doesn't have a mic in connection and the mic's busted.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The question is whether Audacity will lift the analog audio output from your cassete player and convert it to a digital format vis mp3, wma, wav.

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Hmm I dunno.

Audacity can take say, a voice, if you're talking into your built-in mic on your computer into MP3?

Audacity can take say, a voice, if you're talking into a plugged-in mic on your computer into MP3?

I don't know, I have audacity loaded but with the mic on this computer broken and no provision to plug in an external mic, I've not been able to use the program.

I am VERY glad this little Sony unit is stand-alone, while supposedly it can be plugged into my computer and files stored as MP3 etc., I'll believe it when I see it. I just want to be able to listen to myself play so I can hear "from the outside" what I'm doing, and the little speaker or headphones with this little unit will allow me to do this without the computer.

Getting back to Audacity, I think it has to store the files somehow, and if it's meant to be a program that allows you to sing into a mic that's attached to your computer, I'm sure it has to store the files using SOME format or another.

I hope something can be worked out, that Mangione tape sounds cool.

6. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    Audacity can take an analog signal and turn it to MP3 or whatever you would like. If you plug a cord from that stereo into the microphone input on your computer, you will be all set. It would be able to record right to Audacity and it can then be put in iTunes or wherever you would like. I do this all the time as I make recordings on tape.

7. Steve Davis

Steve Davis New Friend

Dec 19, 2007
    Thanks guys, sounds like I should be able to get it done with Audacity.

8. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Yeah.

Cool.

Thanks.

I was hoping it works this way. A free, good, solution for the OP.

9. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I have read that you should use line in and not a microphone when going from a line.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    On my Dell XPS 400 media computer the symbol on my 3/5 mm input line is that of a microphone, but I've found it works fine with any output 3.5mm patch line from another unit. I'm even doing a step-down to the 3.5mm from the output 1/4" "banana" jack on my reel tape recorders. Sometimes, I have to adapt the monaural outputs to the stereo inputs of my computer or otherwise whatever seems broken up or "one-eared".