Old Cornet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by gus, Nov 23, 2005.

1. gus

gus Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    I have a York Cornet B/C and I think is also in A, with an original case, original silverplating and the valves are OK.

Do you think is a good cornet?. The Serial is 29xxx. I received it yesterday night for testing so today I'll give it a blow.

Your opinions are highly appreciated.

Gus

2. radiobob

radiobob New Friend

The serial # indicates it was made about 1905. York instruments from this period are highly regarded, I have a trumpet from 1910 I really like, even though it has worn valves, I'm going to have it restored.

Bob

3. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Yes!

This was the pinnacle of excellence for the York company and the pristine York instruments from this period that I've played have been very fine.

What model is it?

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

4. gus

gus Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Yesterday I had a party and came almost 4.00 am home, so no chance to look the beauty. Tomorrow I'll post more facts.

Regards.

Gus

5. gus

gus Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Ok here the facts.

No model name is stamped. The only thing is the engraving at the bell that says J.W.York and Sons and also in small letters made in Grand Rapids Michigan.

Description: The silverplating is satin, with the exception of the engraving that is bright (very nice work ).- Inside the bell is goldplated.

It has two tuning slides, a big one looking at the player and an extension to lenghten (sp ) another smaller tuning slide looking at the bell.

With the shorter slide and without the extension it plays in C. All the slides must be completely in. It plays very well and in tune.

With the extension and shorter slide it plays in Bb very well and I guess that with the longer valve it plays in A (but I didn' t try it ).

The valve caps have a little ball. An the valve slides have marks for each tone.

The workmanship is pretty remarkable, the valves are pristine and constructed the same way as a modern piston ( with the spring covered )

Notes out of tune can be lipped considering that there is no trigger.

OK that's what I can mention.
    Saturday I'll give it a big test with a brass ensemble.-

Anyway do you know which bore is this cornet???