Old Cornets - history search

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sandersde, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Sandersde

Sandersde New Friend

Oct 24, 2010
    I recently acquired two cornets at an estate sale. They are both in poor condition, but before investing in their repair I'm searching for information about them.
    The inscription on the bell of one says: "Genuine Aug Heinem JW Jenkins Sons Music Co Sole Agents Kansas City Mo". Numbers stamped on each valve - 1st "31", 2nd "35" with "7" below and 3rd "36"
    The inscription on the bell of the other says: "Fournier Paris Olney Music Co Sole Agents". "B&F" is on the back of 2d valve; "57" is on front of 3rd valve.
    Can anyone enlighten me on these horns and / or point me to where I may learn more about them?

2. captainrlittleman

captainrlittleman New Friend

Aug 3, 2011
    Georgia
    You might try Rich Ita in Atlanta. He is a brass repair man and often has lots of old horns. He also does excellant work. I can not remover exactly his website but just google him and it will pop up. I think he has a FB page as well.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Not trying to be blunt, but they sound like a couple wall hangers to me.

4. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    The Aug. Heinem can be more than a wall hanger, provided it's in good condition. I've had one for quite a few years, and it's actually decently made and a pretty good player. It came in the original case with a full set of crooks and slides, making it capable of being played in HP Bb and LP Bb, A, and C. It's no world-beater, but on those rare occasions when I want a C cornet, it's good enough. Mine happened to be in excellent condition when I bought it, which probably makes a lot of difference.

5. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Piano User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    "B&F" (actually often "B+F") is the mark of Bohland & Fuchs in Bohemia (Once a Germanic principality with a Slavic minority, now makes up about 40% of the Czech Republic). The marking you describe for the other with regard to the valve numbers and the "7" below is also typical of B&F. You might want to see if they resemble any of those found in the Bohland & Fuchs history at www.trumpet-history.com. It includes pics of every model I could identify.