Old guy beginner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by djm, Dec 29, 2008.

1. djm

djm New Friend

Dec 29, 2008
    Hello.....I just bought a student trumpet.

I dont want to take lessons....I want to learn the basics via the internet.....I did this with the guitar and I do get enjoyment out of playing. My question.....Is it possible to acquire the same enjoyment out of casually playing the trumpet?

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Only if you are very, very lucky. It depends on your definition of enjoyment. What do you have to lose, other than time?
    Just a few lessons to begin with will make a huge difference in your chances of meeting your goal.

veery

3. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    As a trumpet player who started out on guitar, I say if you are not going to take it seriously and have a teacher, stick to guitar. They are entirely different beasts. You'll have to practice daily and hours per day if you want any degree of proficiency. It'll be fun, but it won't be as fun as casual guitar playing.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If you really want to learn to play even for fun, get a teacher for at least a while.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Seems hardly worth the bother - if I read you correctly? - Rest assured, it's harder than it looks. A Kazoo is easy, a trumpet is NOT. :dontknow:

6. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Learning the basics via the internet is a LOT harder than you would think. I couldn't even imagine trying to do that. I would get a teacher at least for mybe the first year, and then if you want to play casually, go for it! I do think that playing casually would be a lot less fun than playing for say, an orchestra or something, because if you don't play with other people, you lose your motivation to get better. (at least that's the way it is for me) Maybe try and just work in a few performances at a local church?...

7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    DJM,

Don't think so. Be it anything you, strum, bang, or strike, you can make a good sound from the get go. Maybe not one after the other, etc. I'm not counting bowed instruments.

With instruments you blow, it's a different bag.

8. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    I think it probably depends on what you're aiming for. "Casual" means different things to different people, and from what I've seen so far, online trumpet culture doesn't really get casual.

If you want to be able to play, say, Christmas carols that stay within an octave or an octave and a half, on the staff or below, I'm guessing you'd be able to manage that within a reasonable amount of time. A teacher could definitely help you get started blowing right - the easy ways to produce notes starting out aren't necessarily good, or even healthy.

If you want an overview of what's possible and what's involved, I'd check out Jonathan Harnum's "Sound the Trumpet: How to Blow Your Own Horn". It's a book, a little different from learning over the Internet, but it'll give you a lot of useful information and prime you for whatever path you take.

I hope that helps. I'm only a month or so into my own return to trumpet (I played as a kid), but I did get through some of those Christmas carols....

9. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    You can probably save teacher time (and your money) by knowing stuff like fingerings and embouchure basics before you front up for your first lesson, but I think you're going to get further and quicker with lessons. I tried the self-taught route for some 18 months, didn't get far and took more months to unlearn my bad technique.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Getting enjoyment is inverse to your demand for perfection. As long as you only are looking for your own pleasure, the chances are good that you will be able to work something out. If pleasing other people is important, then just forget it. The internet is so full of contradictory recommendations that I see little chance to get good. We are creatures of habit and every bad habit that you build will have to be unlearned before you can really get started.

My advice: practice more guitar!