Old guy beginner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by djm, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

As it's been said, you're not going to learn the instrument properly or effectively via the web. A teacher can point you in the right direction, and help you to progress. If you don't learn properly, you're always going to be struggling with many aspects of playing, and you're not going to have much fun. As Rowuk said, it depends on your idea of fun or your goals, but I think you'd be best off getting a teacher for a bit.

Good Luck

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Not likely, a trumpet is a bloody hard instrument and possibly the hardest instrument to learn!! Think about it, saxes make a noise by vibrating a reed, guitars by plucking a string, while percussionist whack animal skins. The trumpet is (arguablly) the closest to the human voice in that a part of your body needs to vibrate (No, not that part!!) The lips must vibrate and that is why we are called lip reed players. If you start on your own you might do well. My hunch is that you will develop a series of bad habits which will haunt you for years. Here's what i suggest, email your local university that has a good trumpet professor and let him/her get you headed in the right direction. Then take the information (on the mechanics of how to play) and work on it about 15-20 minutes a day from written music on the internet(there are thousands of free sites). After about 6 months of practice, email the professor back and beg, plead, offer money!!! and see if you can have another lesson to see if you're progressing in the right direction. It's extremely easy to develop bad habits and a pain in the butt to get rid of them. Get a good foundation and the rest should fall into place. Good luck

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  3. djm

djm New Friend

Dec 29, 2008
    As a child I tried many things but was constantly told "you must do it the right way or don't do it at all". So, i lost interest because I didnt have what it took to do it the "right way".......As I've gotten older I realized that this way of thinking is, for lack of a better word, STUPID.

I hunt, fish, play guitar, make wine and beer, kayak, referee high school basketball. None of which (except basketball) I do well but I'll tell you one thing.....I LOVE ALL OF EM. I gotten many hours of enjoyment doing these things the WRONG way.

So, after a week on the trumpet I can play some tunes. I;m having a blast.

4. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    "So, after a week on the trumpet I can play some tunes. I;m having a blast."

Sounds great! Congratulations!

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

6. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    "Wow. Kind of makes me wonder why you bothered to come to a trumpet web forum looking for advice?"

Maybe, you know, there's a range of levels of advice? He was pretty clear at the outset what he wanted, and asking about casual playing didn't seem to me like that unreasonable a question for a trumpet forum.

I'm not sure why folks would be surprised that people aren't excited to receive advice that that's outside the explicit parameters of the initial request.

(And I'd personally have loved to see the question answered within those parameters, having set out quite deliberately to be a casual player. Oh well.)

7. progmac

progmac Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2009
    learning the trumpet is very unlike learning the piano or guitar. of course, everyone thinks the instrument they play is the hardest to learn, so don't worry about that. the biggest difference with learning a brass instrument is that you should spend a tremendous amount of time working on physical development. in my case, only about 20% of my daily practice could be considered somewhat musical. but what to practice? there are a variety of methods for learning out there (claude gordon, chicago, balanced embouchure), and my advice is to fire up google, learn about the methods, pick one of them and stick with it the best you can. if you're playing three or four times a week, you'll become a reasonable casual player in no time.

asking specific questions on the internet can be tough. if i say i'm having trouble staying relaxed playing high notes, one person will say change my embouchure, one person will say to visualize the note differently, one person will say to increase my air support, and another will say to quit the trumpet and play the trombone.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I can't argue with that - if you wish to move on from simple tunes, we'll
    still be here.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Simon,
    I guess for the casual participant here at TM, some reactions are indeed not not easily understood. After some time here, the reasoning becomes clear.

Basically, there is not much an internet forum can do for a player interested in unstructured casual except confuse them. There are too many handicapped players just waiting to give advice to anyone that will listen. Their comments are really more worth deleting than leaving in the open for the gullible, but where does the line on censorship start?

In any case, ANY beginners method book purchased would be more consistent than bouncing around the internet. The chances for any sort of success are pretty remote without local help though. I have no guilt in telling the truth even if some feel that it is not politically correct to question "good intentions".

I teach trumpet and too many times have tried to fix the mess that many players have gotten themselves into. It is not always possible.

10. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    Actually, so far the "reasoning" just becomes less likeable the more I hear it.

I get a painful sense that the ethic djm criticized, that you shouldn't do anything unless you're willing to make an immense investment to get it right, is the only ethic taken seriously here. Kind of a guild mentality - apprentices and journeymen are welcome to learn from masters, but amateurs are strongly discouraged.

And as you've probably noticed, I find that strange....

I see. It's funny how the Internet creates a lot of dangerous DIY folk. Worse even than books...

It does seem like the Internet - places like this? - might be a good place to say, find out about those beginner method books, get recommendations, and so on? From possibly friendly people who have something of a clue?

It's not a matter of being "politically incorrect" or even "telling the truth".

It's a matter of what you value, and how you expect other people to value the same. And if they should actually speak up about what they're doing, or ask questions, then they should definitely be sent off to someone more serious, though of course not censored...

No, it's not always possible. It's not always possible to fix the messes that some teachers get their pupils into either.

The question, though, seems to be what counts as "success" and what counts as "mess". There's lots of interesting music people can enjoy playing within a two-octave range or even a one-octave range, with or without a great sense of rhythm. Achieving even those ranges does require work - most people don't start with a developed embouchure. But it's not rocket science, really.

I guess I'd thought this looked like a reasonably welcoming forum, but right now I'm thinking some folks take the "Master" in the site name way too seriously. I'll stick around for a while - some of the advice has been great - but I can't say posts like this are exactly welcoming.