Old guy beginner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by djm, Dec 29, 2008.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    "I guess I'd thought this looked like a reasonably welcoming forum, but right now I'm thinking some folks take the "Master" in the site name way too seriously. I'll stick around for a while - some of the advice has been great - but I can't say posts like this are exactly welcoming."

It's the internet, so there is nothing forcing you to stay. It's very self-righteous of you to come here and paint with broad brushes about the ills of the opinions posted here, but don't you find it a LITTLE interesting that so many people are advocating the same thing? Maybe YOU are the one who's off-base? Just a thought.

In any event, I was never advocating spending tons of money for a beginning adult to transform himself into the next Wynton. I was merely attempting to recommend starting with a trumpet teacher. Hell, even ONE lesson with a professional would help said beginner to start his endeavor on the happy path to casual enjoyment...

2. ADDER

ADDER Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    London UK
    Simon
    I started playing the trumpet about ten months ago, I'm not in a position financially to get a tutor so I did as you have done and scoured the net.
    The first three months (after I managed to get a note out of the horn) I found out from this site that I was playing with an open Embechoure, After I had found this out and rectified it, and from the help on here regarding long tones and slurs I am now really enjoying 'Playing' (not performing) the trumpet.

I am one of the 'I just want to play it' trumpet players and I really enjoy playing it. So it can be done via the web.

I will however say this, I have read a ton of crap regarding playing the trumpet but, since I found this site, I have found a ton of common sense.

I will also add that I am an accomplished guitarist/bass player and piano player so I did have a lot of musical knowledge prior to learning the trumpet. However, none of the previous instruments can prepare you for playing a trumpet apart from note recognition and music theory.

We all know that lessons from a tutor would be the best scenario, however not all of us are in a position to afford that. Thats why forums like this can really help and they do.

There are a lot of videos on you tube which can also help, All I did was cross reference and find out who was telling the truth. After that, without a tutor you are on your own and as long as you enjoy what's coming out of the fat end of the horn who cares?

Best of luck
    Adder

3. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    Thanks for the reminder. It's nearly as cheerful as "there is not much an internet forum can do for a player." It's good to find a community that welcomes people so strongly...

Someone asked a question. You, and folks like you, didn't even like that question being asked. I didn't need to paint - the situation was already pretty well drawn in.

Of course I'm off-base. Aren't you? Isn't everyone? The folks here with similar replies certainly shared an attitude, but attitudes often develop along similar lines in communities. That part's just normal.

I guess I just find it very strange to tell a guy who's clearly interested in playing casually that if he doesn't take it more seriously he shouldn't bother. When he pointed that he considers that position to have done him real damage in the past, he got cheerful responses asking things like "Kind of makes me wonder why you bothered to come to a trumpet web forum looking for advice?"

Maybe he just wanted an answer to his clearly stated question?

This shouldn't be a right or wrong question. He has his priorities, and wants to know how to go about doing things within them. Your priorities are different. Why challenge his priorities? He made it pretty clear that this was for fun.

I'm in a similar place. I guess that's obvious.

4. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    Indeed it can!

There's a lot of good here - I just hope that folks maybe get better at sharing it.

Thanks!

5. djm

djm New Friend

Dec 29, 2008
    Thanks simon! You get it!

6. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    Well Old guy, I was in your position about a year and a half ago, although I had actually played when I was younger so I knew the fingering and how to blow, but i was basically back to square one. I had quite playing 30 years ago to play guitar.

For the first month or so, I got a beginners book and started practicing. I was having a blast like you are. Good for you. I wanted to play jazz trumpet so I took a couple of lessons and it did help me quite a bit, especially with things to practice. I then took some lessons with a string of other "highly respected" people, recommended by people on the Internet. Some were good, but just not right for me and what I wanted to learn, and some got me really screwed up for a while. I went back to learning on my own. I have a big mistrust of teachers anyway.

Finally I took some lessons with Eddie Allen in New York and he was just great. Really helped my sound,- everything really.

so the answer to your question is : yes you can fun, so much fun that if you are like me you'll never pick up the guitar again.

But a few lessons with a good teacher can make it more fun, if you find the right teacher. But don't believe very thing they say, use your judgement and hopefully you'll find a good one. I only take lessons when i need to, which is every couple of months.

Hope that helps.

And ignore some of the sourpusses you read here. This, as well as the trumpetherald, can be a very good resource for you.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009