Old Holton Valve Prob

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Feb 10, 2016.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well came back to NZ, went in the room and got the old Collegiate plate stamped worn out case. There it was one of the most highly regarded cornet in band history for students as lying there, funnily enough though the slides look corodded and in bad condition it was free! All three slides including the tuning slide! I quickly greased them up and etc. but the valves when I bought it the seller did say something about the valves not popping up, well I thought it was a simple stuck valve problem but the thing was the valves were fine but I am thinking the valves are missing their springs? I have never seen the 1950s collegiate valves before,.,,.. Could someone help me? What can I do? Dennis do you have these valves too?

JUST WILL BE ADDING A YAMAHOLTBLANC(Yamaha-Holton-LeBlanc) younger brother in the last pic for fun.

Will be making a thread on the other horns later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I am not familiar with those valves, is there a small rectangular piece soldered at the top of the piston that prevents the valve rotating in the casing? What you are missing are the springs and a washer that sits on a ledge in the casing that the spring works against. If I had the horn I could supply springs and fabricate the missing part. My 2 Holtons have different valves, 1928 Llewellwn, 1970s ST301.

Regards, Stuart.

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Stuart don't worry I figured out the problem by looking at pictures of an early 60s collegiate cornet it has the same design I just need to buy the springs,

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    You have bottom sprung valves on tha old girl! Same as my '52 Collegiate. The top of those valves only have a small screw for the guide pin. Looks like you have no springs. Once you get those springs you should be quite happy with the action. Bottom sprung valves feel different but good