Old horn odor problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Mar 4, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you use the rubbing alcohol (good choice by the way) monthly, you should not have to get the chem-clean. I would recommend trying using the rubbing alcohol (91% mixture is ideal) a few months before sending the horn out.

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Don't forget valve have insides, I soak them in CLR and water for a few hours when I get a horn. Then scrub with brush and force water through them on final clean. Careful as some valve guides are "pot metal" and will partially disintegrate if put in CLR solution, and of course no stems,corks,felts, just the valve body.I also agree that the corks, felts,can hold that funky odor. Replace them.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Do what Gmonady says. Alcohol!!!! (I won't even argue with him about the percent ;) Pour it into each of the slides and let it sit an hour. Do the same with the leadpipe after stopping up the end. Pour down bell, in valve slide fittings etc.

4. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I got the idea for the alcohol from you from another thread. The Lysol idea came from being a farm kid.

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I recently discovered that alcohol works great on mildew and mold -used it for cleaning grout in a bathroom. Far better than most other cleaners. A high percentage of alcohol will handle many bad bugs. Similarly, Lysol is also a good agent -though I am not sure about how it would work with lacquer. Using one and then the other would probably knock out about anything.

6. phittle

phittle Pianissimo User

May 9, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    My 1936 Olds Standard had been played by a HEAVY smoker. I played it for about a day and felt like I'd smoked two packs of cigarettes. Ultimately, I disassembled the horn and ran a snake dampened with baking soda through all the slides and ports. Then I flushed some CLR through it. That took care of any odor.

7. Wayv

Wayv New Friend

Feb 27, 2011
    I Pickup up a 28 Cornet recently the case is way worse than the Horn. The mouthpiece an Olds 3 stinks bad. I've soaked it in Vinegar overnight twice and it's still pretty bad. Since the plating has lost its surface it seems to be embedded . I'm not too concerned about the mouthpiece but I thought it would fix it. I'm using vinegar soaks to clean all the Horn inside parts , that seems to get all the Blue /green residue. I do have a couple of cases that are in dire need of deodorizing I'll try the advice here . Thanks

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I use lemon power dishwashing liquid. The acidity of the lemon is enough, but not too much. Never had a stinky horn afterwards.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The mouthpiece that came with my Ambassador was/is the same way. It is stored AWAY from everything else!:lol:

10. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I am refinishing several older horns, and use a solution of 1 part Simple Green to 4 parts water. I use a storage container from Wal Mart/ Lowes, etc. that is about 16" x 24". I can soak two horns at once. I place the caps, slides and pistons in a smaller container, fill it with the solution and let it all sit for about fifteen minutes, brush thoroughly, and then thoroughly rinse. No smell and the horn is really cleaned inside and out.