Old Hymns for Practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    There's probably loads of these out on the interweb, but I'm thoroughly enjoying going through an 1877 Hymns Ancient & Modern freely downloadable from https://archive.org/details/hymnsancient77chur.

They're great for practising sight-reading, phrasing, tone and intonation. And as I've said elsewhere, once I've played through a tune a few times, I particularly like playing it by ear, from memory, starting on a random note without thinking about what key that puts it into. This 'playing the interval' rather than the note helps develop 'intuitive' pitching and fingering, transposition skills and a feel for the underlying harmonies.

Many tunes are non-modulating, and these can be viewed as Step 1, basic major and minor scale harmonies.

Step 2 are (usually more interesting) tunes including the standard modulations into the 'uplifting' dominant, 'reflective' subdominant or 'subdued' relative minor. Lots of these, but hymns #2, #14, #222 (tonic-dominant); #43(2),#119 (tonic-subdominant); and #5, #47 (major-relative minor) are a sample to learn the distinctive feel of these harmonies and the adjustments that come with them.

Step 3 modulations are the wyrd and unusual! Try the following. Most of them can be quite tricky if you pick the 'wrong' starting note! Not even 100% sure of the 'true' home key of some of them (#98(1) in particular):

#25 - tonic-supertonic
    #17(1) - tonic-major mediant
    #29, #79 - tonic-minor mediant (relative major)
    #142 - tonic-major submediant
    #98(1) - tonic(dorian)-subtonic
    #76 - subtonic(dorian)-tonic-minor mediant(ionian-aeolian)-tonic

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I use the same method... but with our old Catholic songbook. Lots of nice hymn tunes.

An added advantage: Hymn books usually come with four-part settings of most songs...

3. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
  4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Seth, thank-you so much for this. I love playing hymns. I've an old Methodist Hymnal that I use. This site looks very cool. Thanks again :)

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    There's a lot to be gained through playing all 4 parts, and finding which line is setting the harmonic structure for the others, such as "Eternal father, strong to save" (#222) which is driven by rising chromatic figures first in bass then treble.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Well it's nearly 4am here in Lagos, Gary, and I'm sat here enjoying a cigarette (no apologies!) and a bottle of cold Star beer, and I must say that time and place those two tracks went down really well. Track 2 reminded me of

which for me comes very close to being complimentary. You're okay, mate!

Despite what everyone else says.

Love to hear you try that stuff on a Wild Thing with a really BIG Monette piece ;-)

Good having you around!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am honored with the reference. You know Zappa and I are both Cincinnati boys. Must be something in that Ohio River water.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For some people, "old" hymns were written in the early 20th Century. For me, they start around 1600.

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    As late as 1600? Somehow I see you flirting with hypophrygian flautists of way, way back. Maybe I misjudge you ;-)