Old Lou Tribute week 1/11/2015 - 1/18/2015

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Osren, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    I recent had *what I consider* a GREAT idea (it doesn't happen often, but I'm proud of this one!) :thumbsup:

Old Lou departed us on 1/16/2014 and I want to keep his memory alive at least within our little community.

Thus I hear-by decree we have an "Old Lou Tribute Week" every year in honor of his memory. (Participation is not mandatory, but would be appreciated)

I think all of us that knew Old Lou should attempt to do the at LEAST one of the following during this Tribute week-

1) if you happen to OWN one of Old Lou's horns or mouthpieces:
    - play it this week and remember the horn's/mpc's previous owner
    - post some pictures of said horn
    - Give us a review of the horn / mpc

2) if you have a YORK horn at all
    - play it this week and remember the guy who was our bastion of all knowledge relating to the J W York and Sons / York Band Instruments Company
    - give a review of the horn

3) play any horn you have an take a moment and remember Old Lou

4) Share something you learned from Old Lou either from any of the Trumpet Forums or if you actually got a chance to have a face to face chat with him.

:play: So go forth and begin remembering Old Lou - please share with the rest of us if you would like.

:laughwave::laughwave::laughwave::laughwave::laughwave::laughwave:

Dupac likes this.
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I'm in!

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I didn't really know Old Lou as such but as someone who live near York, (the original one) I would like to do something.

A

4. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    So that's the guy who got me interested in Yorks...

5. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    Well today I busted out the York Airflow cornet that I bought about a year and a half ago.....

I haven't played it in awhile, the valves last time I used it felt a bit sticky.

I was determined to play it and play it well today. I pulled each valve out and WIPE it off on a microfiber cloth. Turns out I had TOO much oil on each of them! Yikes! Not something I tend to do very often.

It sounded wonderful... to my ears, it sounded more like a middle brass instrument (like a french horn), it was really cool.

Old Lou had SO many posting about the Airflow cornet and trumpet. Without him, I don't think many of us would know anything about them.
    I also got 2 incredible deals in the last few weeks on vintage York instruments which also lead me to think about Old Lou.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, but I always pictured him as a kindly old fellow that loved his horns and loved to share his knowledge of them with anybody who asked.

I STILL do searches for some of the stuff Old Lou said as it is great and valuable information.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Got this special horn from Old Lou...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a tribute horn made by Stumac :

[​IMG]

7. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    beauties Peter! Thanx for sharing!

8. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Old Lou was especially fond of the CONN 2B New World Symphony.

[​IMG]

I always thought he meant the 1st generation, but on reading through old posts I've since learned it is the 2nd generation that he preferred.

9. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    How old was old Lou? Older than my Vocabell?

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I have Oldlou's 1924 Couturier Conical bore Trumpet, from reading some of his posts I think it may have been his father's, every time I get it out to play I think of him.

Regards, Stuart.