Old "newbie" has questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    Hello all,
    I played a trumpet for nine years when in school and have an idea of returning to play just for fun. The fact that I am a paraplegic with limited air supply should not be too much of a problem. However, I am wondering if I can ever get my lips to vibrate again (I am 72 years old). Lip buzzing wasn't even heard of when I was learning (or playing).
    What do you think,is there a chance I can do this?

Bruce in the Peg

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bruce,
    of course there is more than a chance. Arnold Jacobs was the tuba player for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and only had the equivalent of one lung. He used what he had to the fullest!

Your success is directly related to your drive to accomplish. I would recommend finding a teacher, or at least a player from a local wind band that can join you in the beginning of this exciting adventure. The beginning is the most important part and you will both learn a lot!

Your online name is Blind Bruce. Is your eyesight impaired? That would definitely influence our suggestions for a book to get started.

Looking forward to an exciting thread!

Robin

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Welcome to TM, enjoy your stay. I couldn't agree more with Rowuk.

4. Blind Bruce

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    Yes, I am legally blind. My retinas are both shot due to "myopic degeneration" I never could read music fast enough to sight read. I faked it a lot.

5. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    Hello and welcome. If you don't have an instrument already, would you consider a cornet? I recently got one after 20 years on the trumpet and I'm amazed how user friendly it is.

6. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Hi Blind Bruce,

So how do you manage to read the thread? JK, man. Suggestions are to get a teacher for starters and join one of the adult community bands for fun. Cornets are wonderful and you could join the Rupertsland Brass Band.

Before I had my cataracts fixed I used to have my nose on the keyboard or monitor!

Cheers,

Brian

PS, I used to live in Brandon and the Peg

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    G'day Bruce,

You have to be doing reasonably well - to participate in this website tends to indicate that to be true. That you are not very mobile shouldn't be a problem - most orchestras spend lots of time sitting. Buzzing the lips - well anyone can blow raspberries, blowing them musically is the fun part. Tie your ears and your feelings together, place your horn on your face and enjoy the experience. You don't HAVE to be good to play trumpet, but you DO have to participate to play at all. Is there any way we can add to the way we format our responses that may help your reading of our posts - bold? CAPITALISED? CAPITALIZED BOLD? Italicised? Italicised Bold? ITALICISED CAPITALIZED BOLD? Different colours? :roll:

8. Blind Bruce

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    I have a screen reader that magnifies the type and can "read" the text audibly. I have taken your advice and I am going to have my first private lesson on Thursday!! I am buzzing around the house and my wife wonders what the strange noises are.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I trust she is as tolerant as my wonderful spouse - the "strange noises" are de riguer for ab initio and comeback trumpeters - be very welcome to the "club".

Be a bit circumspect about those on this website that you choose as your mentors - a few on the site have such knowledge and experience that it would be wasteful not to engage in conversation with them. :play:

10. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    It warms my heart to see someone enjoy playing no matter what their age or physical condition- Bravo to you for living life to the fullest! We all wecome you to the site and the trumpet world with open arms - enjoy! :)