Old Philharmonic Cornet.

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by richtom, May 16, 2018.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Our Aunt brought over our late uncle's old cornet.
    It is in very good shape for its age, but all it says on it is Philharmonic on the bell.
    No mention of the manufacturer on the case but there is a card in the case from the DEG company.
    The darn thing plays rather well and came is a Bach Mt. Vernon 7. That is very fine mouthpiece and it is in really good shape too.
    Anyone have any knowledge of this cornet and who may have made it? I am guessing it is maybe 50 years old.
    Rich T.

True Tone likes this.
  2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Do the valve cases have consecutive numbers stamped on them, like 13 14 15, 19 20 21, etc.? Is there a small anchor stamped into one of the valve cases? A very small "Czechoslovakia" stamped on the mouthpiece receiver? I'm guessing it's a stencil horn from a European maker.

True Tone likes this.
  3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    The valves are marked 1 2 3, in valve order. Nothing to indicate made anywhere but in the US.
    It is very well made and the valves look strikingly similar to my old Getzen 300 D/Eb. which has stainless steel valves.
    The case appears to be a Gladstone and is also very similar to the 300.
    The serial number is 7XX.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Well, then maybe it is an American-made stencil. Post some pics if you can - that will help all the horn detectives try to sort it out.

Dennis78 likes this.
  5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I’m going to guess a Blessing stencil

6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I'll see about the pictures. I cannot find any info anywhere on this horn.
    It has a nice true cornet sound, but it is not anything more than a beginners horn. A Yamaha 2310 plays much easier.