Old Shepherd's Crook Cornet(?)

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Crow Pun, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Crow Pun

Crow Pun New Friend

Dec 15, 2016
    Howdy hey hello I'm new and honestly only joined to ask your lovely trumpet-happy community about this old cornet I found in my recently passed grandfather's closet. My old teacher told me it's Old with a capitol O; there's no serial number, and the only inscription on it is "C. Fischer New York". Im hoping someone here might know a bit more about it.
    IMG_20161215_211223581.jpg
    IMG_20161215_221532911.jpg
    IMG_20161215_214152178.jpg
    and heres the old leather case it was in!
    IMG_20161215_221717968.jpg

thank you!
    (edit: sorry the picture of the case is upside down!)

2. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Carl Fischer is a long-established (1870's) music publishing firm based in New York City. These days, the emphasis is on the publishing business. In the past, Fischer sold a wide variety of instruments under its name. Generally, they were imported stencils, but you can find more information about the firm at horn-u-copia.net. There's also a copy of a fairly early Fischer catalog in the Library section there. The quality of the instruments branded as Carl Fischer varied, but the firm also served as the importer of some of the finest brands available. Clean it up, oil it, and play it. It might be high pitch, it might not. Only testing can determine that unless you happen to find a small "HP" or "LP" marking on a valve casing or similar spot.

3. operagost

operagost Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I'll bet you see "Bohemia" or "Austria" stamped on the receiver (where the leadpipe bit goes in, as opposed to the mouthpiece).

The nipples on the bottom caps and wishbone water key tell me that it's indeed the oldest of its already quite ancient design.

4. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I may not know too much about the history of the instrument, but what I DO know is that you should pass it on to me! :cool: ;-) ROFL

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    Interesting find. I played something similar on my final recital 7 years ago on my final recital at the RNCM. It was given to me by my teacher at that time, however it appeared to be French-made - Lammar or something hing similar. These cornets have a voice of their own, quite appropriate for Arban and Clarke kind of stuff.

6. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Piano User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    That Courtois Arban Model inspired knock-off is a Bohland & Fuchs Model 2 cornet, circa 1890s. These were stenciled under many names including Carl Fischer, Vega, Champion Silver Piston, Geo. Barings (HE McMillin brand), Henry Gunkel (Lyon & Healy brand), Marceau (Sears brand), Jules De Vere (Wards brand), and Silver Star (HN White stencil brand). Many of the B+F stencil cornets are shown in my quick history at www.trumpet-history.com/Bohland und Fuchs Stencil Cornets.htm .

7. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    Don't B&F horns have a small anchor stamped into them someplace?

8. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Piano User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    Sometimes yes. A "B+F" marking is another indication. For the 1880s/90s series, what I see most consistently is what is presumed to be the model number just under the valve number on second. In this case, there is some sort of mark covering that location, but it normally would have a "2" there. im not sure if that is another form of symbol, or a dent with incredibly inconvenient placement.

9. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    Greater London
    Looks like an old German or French Cornet. It is possibly old Lyon & Healy but the firm Lyon & Healy was always stamped on the bell. Carl Fischer imported instruments from Graslitz and even old Amati horns. Few weeks ago was a Carl Fischer imported Bohemian Rotary valve cornet sold by the Excelsior Cornet Band, pretty cool horn that was.....

Just think its a German/Bohemian/Czechoslovakian horn imported by Carl Fischer.

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I think OlsSchoolEuph has it nailed..

Bohland & Fuchs Model 2 cornet, circa 1890s

and his link has the exact pic of a carcass that matches the OP's horn photos.