Old Trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bottoms94, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Bottoms94

Bottoms94 New Friend

Dec 14, 2009
    Chesterfield Va.
    To whom that can anwser,

I've been seeing a lot of collection list that contain olds trumpets.
    I have no idea of any of the background of these horns. :-?:dontknow:

If anyone could supply me with some information on these horns it would be greatly appresiated.:D

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Maybe my list is among those that you have seen. You will note that mine are mostly Olds with a smattering of other makes. Olds is probably one of the best documented brands and there are still some people in the area that worked in the Olds factory prior to its closing in 1979. But, even with that, the history of all of the Olds models is still somewhat murky. Many of the other brands have virtually no historical records (records lost, burned, destroyed, etc.). There are various websites dedicated to some of the main brands (links below) and there is a site that has some history and information about many different brands and models. It is:
    Horn-u-copia
    you can browse through a lot of information there. You can also do a search for various brand names right here on this forum and will find quite a bit of information. Here are some of the sites for different brands:
    Olds Central: Olds Central: Information on trumpets and cornets by F. E Olds and Son 1928-1979
    Conn Loyalist:The Conn Loyalist
    Holton Loyalist:Holton Loyalist.com - Dedicated to the Frank Holton & Co.; Makers of High Grade Band Instruments
    York: (some history on Horn-u-copia.net)
    HN White (King):H N White Trumpets: Liberty, Master, 2-B, Super 20, Silver Flair.
    Bach:Dave's Bach Trumpet Page

These are some of the 'vintage' brands. The brands still in production (Kanstul, Getzen, Monette, NYTC, etc) will have company websites that may or may not discuss any out-of-production models.

So, your question is pretty broad and the answer is equally broad. If there are specific brands/models that interest you, I'm sure some of here can provide personal experiences to go with the general history.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    You can call it the Green List:play: - ENVIRONMENTALLY Friendly TRumpet LIsts..:cool:

Hell NO!!:evil:

THESE Lists are...

They are the ENVY List.....:thumbsup:

He with the Longest Real List...Wins. OldLou counts in Volumes, he heads the race so far.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nope,
    those with the most OPPORTUNITIES to use those old axes win! Each one has a personality that only comes alive when played. Collections often just turn a working horn into a "dustable". That qualifies as a BIG LOSS!

5. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    A couple of additions to the list for Olds fans:

The Olds Register: The Olds Register - The International Olds Trumpet & Cornet Database

Robb Stewart's site: HomePage

Robb's site isn't specifically dedicated to Olds, but where else can you find information and pictures of Uan Rasey's Olds Recording model built with an Ambassador valve section? Plus he's got a great collection of links.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Agreed, that would be sad not to see these old horns played. The fun is in the hunt for the right one.

7. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    And the people said: "AMEN!" :thumbsup:

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I understand that. Everyone of mine (unless they are in the repair shop) is played on a rotating basis. In fact I take three different ones (in my triple-horn gig bag) to band practice and switch during breaks - much to the bemusement of the rest of the section. In fact, I have had some ask to play different ones that I have brought. So, they are not just "dustables". The only problem I have is rotating them when my wife is not looking so she doesn't start to suspect how many I really have.:roll:

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Unfortunately, mine keeps count. same thing goes with my gun safe, hard to sneak anything past that woman...........:dontknow::roll::oops:

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

You too????????????

OLDLOU>>