Olds Ambassador age/performance>

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bill_57, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Bill_57

Bill_57 New Friend

Apr 21, 2008
    Bethlehem GA
    Looking into either 60's Olds Ambassador Tumpets or '78 model. Was the '78 still made in Fullerton, and what would be the difference (if any) in design or build in that era?

The '78 serial number starts with "A" and this is shortly before the last of production, which I understand was in '79. Having worked in manufacturing, I know how things go regarding cost, etc.

Condition being equal(which would probably not be the case, how would these horns compare, relative to the date of manufacture?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I have one of each. My 60's trumpet is far superior to my last year of manufacture Ambassador in every way. The prime difference is in thae care used in assembly and the quality and fit of the valves. I dearly love my L.A. Olds horns and rarely ever use my 'last ditch' Olds products.

OLDLOU>>

3. Bill_57

Bill_57 New Friend

Apr 21, 2008
    Bethlehem GA
    Hi Oldlou,

Thank you for supporting my gut feelings - like I said, after many years in manufacturing I am all too aware of the shortcuts and effort to remove cost from a product. When the company is close to the end or a buyout, then who knows what they are making! I've been there too many times in the past few years! (electronics / electromechanical, not musical instruments, but quality is quality, regardless).

I appreciate your opinion.

Bill