Olds Ambassador early Fullerton vs Getzen 300L for band student

Discussion in 'Horns' started by nicsflyingcircus, Nov 12, 2016.

1. nicsflyingcircus

nicsflyingcircus New Friend

Nov 12, 2016
    I am currently bidding on an Old Ambassador Fullerton trumpet for my 6th grade daughter. It claims to be a '58 and has a serial number of 258038. Based on my research, that seems right, and the trumpet itself appears to be in great shape, minus a missing pinky hook/pinkie ring. It even has the green felts. I hope to close out the auction at no more than 200$.

My other option is a refurbished getzen 300L, which has been play tested for 300$.

Two questions: Which would you consider a better choice? And would it be considered worthwhile to go over 200$ (if necessary) to get the Olds if it was the better option?

Thanks to any and all who reply.

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    Life is going to be hard for your daughter for the minus the pinky hook Ambassador, a good repair shop should fabricate one for you...

3. nicsflyingcircus

Nov 12, 2016
    Oh yeah, we would definitely get a pinky ring, which why that wasn't an issue in purchasing said trumpet.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Without seeing the specific horns, it's hard to say. But in general, I would say that an Ambassador in good condition could be worth $100 to $200, but there are many variables that might change that.

The Getzen 300 is another good horn to consider. You can also search eBay for completed listings to see what they've recently sold for, to see if $300 is a reasonable price.

Also, I purchased my 1957 Ambassador without a 3rd valve slide ring. I replaced it with a generic ring for less than $10.

There are a lot of over-priced horns on eBay. And there are a lot of over-statements, too. For example, what does it mean to "refurbish" a horn? If the horn is selling for $300, I'd suspect they didn't do that much "refurbishing".

Since you asked, one option to consider is to work with someone you know or someone you can trust. If your daughter is in the band, maybe her band director can help.

Mike

5. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    Lots of Ammassadors out there. Built like tanks, really good horns. I think the important think to ask - do the slides "POP" when pulled all the way out. This would be a good indication that the valves are in good shape, not too worn.

I just got an Ambassador cornet on Ebay. It is now at Charlie Melks for a few months. Charlie is going to turn this horn into a spetacular piece.

Good luck with bidding.

Kevin

6. nicsflyingcircus

Nov 12, 2016
    I am working with her private instructor, he is the one who recommended (in general) both the Olds Ambassador and the getzen student series trumpets. The market on used trumpets that we can actually lay our hands on where we live is sparse, hence e-bay and hope.

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for the additional information. An alternative to eBay might be a trusted online dealer. There are several out there. One that I've used before, and who has a good reputation here on TM, is Trent Austin of Austin Custom Brass. He has lots of used horns, and would be a trusted person to consider if the eBay options don't work out.

Mike

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    The Getzen sounds like the obvious choice to me. It's been refurbished and play tested. The Ambassador is very old

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have Olds and Getzen horns. I love my Ambassador. I like spaghetti. Get the Ambassador.

10. nicsflyingcircus

Nov 12, 2016

Well, I lost this particular Ambassador because I'm not going over 200$ on something I might have to have repaired/refurbished. Debating now whether to offer back at 275$ for the play-tested getzen or keep looking.