Olds Ambassador/Mendez

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Heavens2kadonka, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Well, found this little baby TODAY in the band room (Noticed a trumpet laying without a case, and that the bell was strikingly similar to a band mate's Olds Mendez. I actually thought it was hers, until I got closer to it.). Serial number 898225, putting it at around 1974. Spoke with Dr. Farnsley, and I believe I can talk him out of the horn for a very reasonable sum (They've been using it as the horn for brass classes for YEARS. No horrible dents, although someone MANGLED the bell, and the fix job left the bell not exactly circular from a front view). The sound is excellent, although I can tell its not a professional model (especially after playing a Mendez), although it could easily give my strad a run for its money.

I don't mean to post two subjects, but about my band mate's Olds Mendez, why in the hell doesn't more trumpet companies use the valve slide system used on the Mendez!??!? I've played it once, and I'm in love with the little levers! Someone should start bringing them back, or buying the patent, on SOMETHING!

2. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

The 3rd slide lever is great, but I have a problem with the 1st slide lever as it hits the thumb of my right hand when my thumb is in its usual place between the first and second valve casing. I think it would be better if the 1st lever were placed behind the first valve rather than beside it.

The other thing to watch with a 3rd slide lever is that it needs to be long enough - the ones on both of my Recordings throw long enough to nearly get the 123 combination in tune but it doesn't work well if the low C# is the third of a chord - the note's still too high. I am thinking about taking the trigger off and going back to the plain old ring for the third slide for that reason.

3. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    For those players who like that combination a good repair person, like Rich Ita here in Atlanta, can install it for you. I too love the trigger on the third valve but not on the first valve slide.

Mike

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Well, I guess I have discovered the folly of leaving horns out of cases in a humid room for so many years.

I was twisting the mouthpiece (which was stuck) out, when I guess I twisted with a bit too much zest.

The leadpipe popped right out. The damned mouthpiece is still stuck, too!

Blows my mind, the leadpipe and bracings are still pristine, but what the hell was holding it together? Glue!?

Since its still Cumberland University's, I guess I'm going to have to go get the leadpipe put back in, which sucks ass, because if Dr. F decides to let me buy it, the first thing I'm taking off is the leadpipe!!!

Oh well, I'm about to email him about what happened, and see what his idea on it is.

Van

5. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Don't panic too much; the silver solder on the tuning slide on one of my Supers did the same thing. :roll: