Olds Ambassador modification

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by buzzer, Jun 26, 2004.

1. buzzer

buzzer New Friend

Nov 3, 2003
    I have an Ambassador trumpet dated 1952 which the shop at Kanstul will be re-finishing. Dents in bell, typical stuff, cleaning and re-laquering. They did a fantastic job on my '51 Amb. cornet. Question is I heard of some that have had Kanstul build a new tuning slide, making it a bigger (rounder) "D" which apparently opens the horn up considerably. Costs some bucks, but seems worth it. Any thoughts on this?

2. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    It would be something to try. It should open the blow. I would keep both slides so you can have a choice.

You should really think about putting a new leadpipe on the horn. My choice would be the Pilczuk leadpipe (excellent results). Rich Ita is the guy to contact on that. His website is:
    http://www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com/
    I have heard people having good results with a Bach 43 leadpipe but the Pilczuk pipe is hard to beat.

I would also consider getting some heavy valve caps and experiment with them (especially on the 3'rd valve). They make a difference in projection and focus as you go into the higher range. I don't like the heavy caps on all three valves because it reduces my flexibility - just the third valve. For relatively little money you can have a really nice playing horn with some modular options to change the way it plays.

Enjoy!

Mike

3. buzzer

buzzer New Friend

Nov 3, 2003
    Thanks for the info, Mike. Will consider all of what you said - been thinking about trying heavy valve caps anyway, and changing the leadpipe - others have also said try the Bach 43 as well. Will be interesting how things turn out.

Al

4. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Life is too short not to do it! How's that for sound reasoning?

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland

p.s. If you get a rounded tuning slide and don't like it, you can sell it to me.

5. nacog

nacog New Friend

Feb 7, 2004
    Buzzer, how much does Kanstul charge for the refinishing?

6. felix c

felix c Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Puerto Rico
    Olds Ambassador

We want photos,we want photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks

7. buzzer

buzzer New Friend

Nov 3, 2003
    Sent trumpet to Kanstul two weeks ago - just about everyone was on vacation so probably playing catch up now. Have not heard from them yet - usually get a call with estimate and further discussions on what I requested in the note with the instrument. Will keep everyone posted. did mention heavy valve caps, different lead pipe, (Bach 43 or equiv) and am thinking of the CG leadpipe they also make. Not sure of its dimensions compared to others, but Claude did let me play his horn with (then) new design MP and it was great - but that does not help me now! More to follow -

Al

8. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    I just got my '52 Ambassador back froma second trip to Kanstul. The first time I had a Pilczuk mouthpipe and amados installed, and a scratch-lacquer finish. This time I had permanent 1st and 3rd slide rings and a schilke-style 3rd slide stop installed. And a round tuning slide built, which REALLY changes the blow for the better. I love this horn and am beyond impressed with the work they do at Kanstul.

9. buzzer

buzzer New Friend

Nov 3, 2003
    The Pilczuk leadpipe was one option I considered but decided against due to cost involved. Went with second choice, which was the Bach 43 or Kanstul equivalent (maybe the CG) but have not talked to Zig yet, they are a bit backlogged to vacation time. But when he calls, we will make that decision. And the rounded tuning slide is a definite. Will go with orig. finish, as I prefer to keep it looking as it came from the factory as possible. They did a brushed finish on my 1929 horn but that is what it had in the first place, and it looks fantastic. Glad your '52 Ambassador turned out great, and I look forward to getting mine back. An earlier post asked about cost to re-finish - and I cannot remember exactly as the total bill was about 250-275 but that included other work besides re-finishing. But you can call them and get an idea over the phone and it will vary depending on what you want done etc. Another query asked about pictures - cannot do that from here yet but will get it done from another location and most likely will post pix from my '64 Mendez, the '29 horn, the 51 Amb. cornet and the Amb. trumpet they have now. The Mendez was done by Oberloh Brass in Seattle - the others by Kanstul.

Al

10. buzzer

buzzer New Friend

Nov 3, 2003
    Kanstul work

Got the call from Kanstul this morning - my Ambassador will be shipped out today. Went with the Bach 43 leadpipe, and the rounded tuning slide. Total cost for dent removal (some major dents in bell and a few others) the tuning slide, etc, and cleaning and re-laquer work was about $450.00. Don't have the breakdown as to cost for each portion of the work, but I think the leadpipes are about fifty bucks, the tuning slide about 125, based on previous postings from others. Anyway, anxious to see the finished product which should be really great looking and playing from my previous experience with Zig and company. Hopefully will post pictures later on. Considering the horn cost 25 bucks to start with, getting essentially a new and improved horn for 475 is not bad!

Al