Olds CHR / Reynolds ERA / Reynolds Clarin

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by contempora, Nov 2, 2005.

1. contempora

contempora New Friend

Jan 17, 2005
    Burnsville, MN
    I'm looking for anyone with photos or information about these high-range monsters from the 1970s. Here's what I've been able to piece together so far:

All models had a relatively long, narrow bell that expanded rapidly to a 5" diameter. The Olds CHR and Reynolds Clarin (model TU-08) had a tuneable bell design without a tuning slide between the leadpipe and valve assembly, while the Reynolds ERA (model TU-15) had a main tuning slide, albeit very short, and no tuneable bell. Silverplate finish.

Alan Rouses' review of the CHR is here. I've posted a 1974 advertisement for the Reynolds ERA here.

2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    I had a chance to play a well-used Reynolds ERA (for "Extended Range Altissimo") a few years ago at a horn test Lee Adams and I held in Atlanta.

I was sooooo disappointed in the horn. It was one of the worst playing trumpets I've ever played. Maybe a pristine one would have been different . . . but I doubt it. It was a real POS.

It played totally different from the hype of the ads that introduced these horns onto the scene as special horns that had extraordinary upper registers due to their radical concepts and tapers. The "altissimo" range on the one I tried was abysmal. It sucked like a Hoover vacuum cleaner on steroids. On the Extreme Suck scale, I'd put it right up there with the late LA Benge D/Eb trumpets.

Keep in mind, these horns were developed in the last gasp days of the Norlin company's leadership that permanently sunk both the Olds and Reynolds lines. It was a dark, dark time for the companies . . . and soon brought on the death of two once great lines.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

3. contempora

contempora New Friend

Jan 17, 2005
    Burnsville, MN
    LOL, Tom - now tell me what you *really* think...

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Yes, I agree he is blocking, I for one would like to know what he really thinks, I hate wading through all that pc nonsense

5. contempora

contempora New Friend

Jan 17, 2005
    Burnsville, MN
    FYI - there's a Clarin ERA on eBay now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7394049058

This is the variant with the tuning bell rather than main tuning slide. The seller had contacted me a while back looking for info, but I was reluctant to send him to Tom's post. :oops: I have nothing else to do with this auction listing.

6. captainchipmunk

captainchipmunk New Friend

Sep 2, 2005
    You might want to give K.O. at Bob Reeves a call (800-837-0980). I was at the shop a while back and they had a couple CHRs in the back that they let me play. I thought they played well. More importantly, he had a lot of information on these horns.

7. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I tried an Olds CHR a number of years ago and thought it played quite well. The first few notes I played below low C were rather kazoo-like, but as I got a little more familiar with the horn the low register was reasonable. I did have to pull the tuning bell out rather far to get the horn down to pitch, but perhaps I was playing on the high side of the pitch on an unfamiliar horn. I did find myself thinking that I'd have to buy a full set of piccolo trumpet mutes if I bought the horn, as there's no way any standard Bb trumpet mute would fit in that extremely tight bell.

I walked out of the store with a used Schilke X4, but if they hadn't had that Schilke I might be playing a CHR today.

8. contempora

contempora New Friend

Jan 17, 2005
    Burnsville, MN
    Wow - $720 final sale price. Didn't see that coming!

9. Bulos

Bulos New Friend

Mar 15, 2006
    South Fl
    The Olds/Reynolds high range horns are really nothiong or rather WERE nothing new. Conn back in the early 20's had the 24B whicjh was plugged as a "jass or danceband trumpet" and it had an extremely tight small belll, akin to a C trumpet bell :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I recently put one of these bells on an Ambassador valve section and fashioned a very conical (long) leadpipe for it, the hiogh register is so easy but like with all of these horns the middle and low register is not real fat.

[​IMG]