Olds L-12 Flugel and GR Leadpipe

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Happy Canuck, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    If you have checked the GR site lately you know that GR and Charlie Melk are offering a leadpipe for the Couesnon.
    http://www.grmouthpieces.com/flleadpipes.htm

I sent Charlie the leadpipe for my Olds L-12 and he is making me one. If you are interested in improving your already great Olds flug, contact him!

Charlie's Brass Works
    8121 West National Ave.
    West Allis, WI 53214
    414-453-9902
    [email protected]

2. wvtrumpet

wvtrumpet Pianissimo User

May 14, 2004
    West Virginia
    Bringing up this old post because I am wondering how many have tried these pipes. I am aware that he makes one for the Blessing Artist Flugel and I would love to know if it it worth the investment?

3. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Well, I've had mine for two years and am extremely happy!

Horns plays in tune, great sound. Well worth the investment.

4. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    Gday Bill
    Has the leadpipe made a significant difference to tuning and intonation. As much as I like my L12, I really do have to fight it to stay in tune. I use the Flugel a lot, and have reached the point were I think its time to replace it. In fact I will be trying some Flugs this week. Maybe I should try a new leadpipe first?
    Cheers
    Laurie

5. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Gday Mate, and Happy New Year!

Yes, better intonation and tuning! I think it is amazing how Charlie Melk and Gary Radke can work their magic, BUT IT WORKS!

I'd certainly recommend the new tuning slide!

p.s. not sure if you've seen that I was able to pick up a second A6 cornet? Previous owners were Rich Ita and then Nick DiCarlis, then the fellow I got it from. Now I have one in silver and one in gold, if only I could play well enough to warrant them!

Cheers

6. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    Gday Bill
    A second A6? Is that the one pictured on the DiCarlis website?. I dont know anyone personally that owns one A6, let alone two!
    I had a look at the GR site, and the leadpipe looks interesting. I am still going to try some new Flugels though. Just cant help myself!
    Ive got two B&S trumpets that I am very happy with , so I figure that a B&S Flugel might be a good idea.
    Cheers and all the best for 2008

Laurie

7. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Yes, the same one on Nick's site. Lovely horn, used for the Last Post on Nov. 11 and for Christmas caroling. Don't know why the previous owner let it go so cheap, I used the Buy It Now when I saw it. I've had a valve alignment since and it is a fantastic horn .... but then what would I expect from an A6?

Again, I highly recommend the GR Flug leadpipe. Let's me play the music without having to be concerned all the time about the tuning and intonation! I also really love the red brass bell of the L-12, matches my Recording. Now all I have to do is get a Recording cornet at a good price!