Olds Mendez or Recording

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by tom turner, Nov 10, 2003.

1. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Ed Gabriel

Olds Mendez or Recording
    « Thread started on: 10/13/2003 at 17:51:01 »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would like to add an Olds to my small collection of classic vintage horns. I will likely purchase a Mendez, or a Recording.

Does anyone have any advice regarding Olds horns. Are some years better than others? Are there multiple versions of each of these horns?

What are you favorite Olds vintages, models and features.

Any input, Tom? Anybody?

Thanks,
    Ed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LFRoberts5

Re: Olds Mendez or Recording
    « Reply #1 on: 10/13/2003 at 17:56:05 »

I personally would try and get an Olds Recording. The tone is just beautiful. The Mendez Model seems to have a brighter sound.

Lloyd F. Roberts

1957 Olds Ambassador Bb
    Callet Symphonique C
    Bach Strad Flugelhorn
    GR 65MX GR 65MS Curry 5XS

tomturner

member is online

« Reply #2 on: 10/13/2003 at 19:03:43 »

Hi,

The Recording is the real Olds gem, IMHO . . . along with the Opera as an interesting second choice.

The Mendez was priced between those two and . . . well frankly . . . ol' Raphey was due his commission of course.

The Mendez was basically a re-trimmed Ambassador with a lightweight pro bell on it. A NICE horn for sure . . . but that Recording was something else indeed!

Today the Mendez is highly regarded in it's own right.

One day soon maybe I'll post the incredible story behind the designing of the Mendez to satisfy Mr. Mendez himself enough to get him away from his beloved French Besson trumpet!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

Happy Canuck

« Reply #3 on: 10/14/2003 at 09:14:24 »

Even tho I have both a Mendez and a Recording I'd agree with the others in the thread - RECORDING.

It not only is a great sounding horn but the valve forward section makes it very comfortable to play. But of course, the "Re-O-Loy" bell with the engraving makes the horn for me.

If you are interested in a Recording, you will want the deep engraving BUT be careful with the early to mid '70s horns. Sometime during that period they changed from human engravers to machines and the deep, strong engraving was lost. They still play well but the beauty of the bell is gone.

On another note, I'd stay away from the Olds Custom horns. Some a good, some a poor. I had a poor one with bad valves and really thin silver plating.

Bill
    Olds Mendez, Recording, Super, Special, Ambassador trumpets/GR 65M
    Olds Opera cornet/Sparx 4B
    Schilke MII trumpet/GR 65M
    Bach Flug/Bach 7CFL

Ed Gabriel

« Reply #4 on: 10/16/2003 at 13:34:01 »

Tom,

Why make us wait?

I would love to hear your story.

Thank you,
    Ed

Ed Gabriel

« Reply #5 on: 10/16/2003 at 13:34:53 »

Bill,

Thank you. That was exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

Do you have any more?

Ed

2. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi Ed,

A repaiman out here in Los Angeles by the name of Robb Stewart is a real authority on Olds .

He doesn't have a site but here's his number 1 626-447-1904

check out this site also http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds.htm
    and Robb also wrote an article on " The Olds Central " and he's featured on Nick DeCarlis site.

plus I think he has both an Mendez and an Recording for sale.

Here's a copy of his most recent " For Sale " List. ( 4 pages )

http://www.geocities.com/oldbrass1/price.html

Enjoy

Larry

" the more i practice - the luckier I get " - lee Travino

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I have had a chance to see some work done by Rob Stewart.

Phenominal! Never had anything done myself but from what I have seen you won't go wrong with him!

TM

4. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    I've just purchased an early 60's Recording via Ebay...what a cracking horn it is. Does anyone know what Olds mouthpiece would have been issued with it? I notice that my Bach 1 1/4c doesn't quite slot correctly into the receiver..or am I being too particular? :roll:

5. azerba

azerba New Friend

Dec 21, 2003
    Pendleton, Oregon USA
    Played a recording for several years, wished I never sold it. Great playing horn, loved the offset second valve and third valve trigger. I would not buy one made in the 70's because the quality varied on them. I liked the little custome things on it like the pearl tip on the second valve slide pull.

6. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Mendez or Recording

I have both Mendez and a Recording.

The Mendez sounds quite a bit but not exactly like my Strad 37. It has quite slippery slotting to it. Valves are incredible. My Mendez is quite resistant (only felt it the first 3 days I played it) which works out to being able to play longer phrases in the upper register. It is really a terrific horn and I like it more and more each time I pick it up. For me it has a warmer sound than the Recording.

The Recording has the perfect Olds valves again. The slots are more 'locked in' then the Mendez. The big surprise for me was that, despite the red brass bell, the Recording can be really bright. It is capable of being pushed a lot without breaking up. It feels to me to be more open than the Mendez and tends to produce a fatter sound. It's just plain pretty to look at as well. :)

Hope that helps!

7. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Dave, glad you finally have both of them. Now, of course, the rest of the family is calling!

Merry Christmas, let's get together in the new year to play some duets!?

8. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Recording/Mendez

And Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

Re: the duets - sounds fun. I should have the Studio waiting for me at the Post Office when I get back into town, so I'll bring that along as well.

I keep going and getting my new Recording out of the case just to look at it - just like a little kid! :lol:

9. Navy4Christ

Navy4Christ New Friend

Sep 19, 2007
    Missouri
    I know this is an old topic, but hopefully you folks will revisit someday. I just placed one of these beautiful horns on eBay and I wanted to thank you for the inspiration as well as your appreciation of these instruments. I had forgotten so much about Dad's horns and you really helped bolster my knowledge, in addition to bringing back some great memories.